DLP lamps

I own a Toshiba 72MX195 HD/DLP and it's about 3 months old. I have already had to replace the lamp which is warrantied for 1 year. Is there an issue with these lamps I should be aware of? The lamps are running around $400.00CDN and I am going to be quite disappointed, not to mention some other feelings that the moderators won't allow me to express, if this is going to be an ongoing issue. Could this have been just a faulty lamp? Are there any better aftermarket lamps I should be looking at for a spare?

If the TV or bulbs DO have a design flaw at least I can spread the word and help make people aware.

Thank for any thoughts.

nuguy
FYI, I have had my Samsung DLP projection system (HLM series) for 3 1/2 years now and have never had the lamp replaced.
I hope that this helps..

For my 50" Samsung DLP, I used a power regenerator, ps audio 300 multiwave on default setting and got 2714 hours before the first bulb failure.

I am not sure that is a lot of time or not but I used the regenerator because my electronics helper, (not a salesman) suggested it would be less stressful on bulb life.
Yada: How many watts does your 50" Samsung DLP pull?

My Optoma projector pulled over 280watts and it shut my Powerplant down... I had heard the same thing about giving the PJ or Display perfectly regenerated regulated power increased bulb (or at least prevented it from going bad sooner)
I have a Panasonic LCD Projection TV and the warranty was increased by Panasonic to 18 mos up from 12mos as per an insert in the owners manual. The tv is only a month old so no failure so far. Seems the life of these bulbs varies poorly unfortunately throughout the brands.
I would encourage all who have had premature failure to write to their respective manufacturers regarding the failures and the related costs, and post opinions on this Forum, Epinions, CNET, Audioreview etc. If enough people make an issue with the manufacturers perhaps the problem will be recognized and warranties will be extended. Sometimes a manufacturer will quitely make an extension of a warranty to those who speak up.
Just my humble opinion.
There is a class action suit for this lamp problem. I wonder why every owner wasn't notified about this problem. Do a google search on this. I don't think you will be happy with the outcome though. I bought a 52" at the end of 2005 and have gone through 3 bulbs so far.