Phonostage

I have a Vintage silver direct drive Pioneer Quartz - PLL - Automatic (model PL - 560) turntable that my husband purchased around 1979.  It currently has a Shure M97xE phono cartridge and N97xE stylus.  At this time I don't have a phono stage.  I listen to Vinyl LP's by directly connecting the TT to our vintage Yamaha amp. I have about 4 dozen vinyl LP's.  Most of them I've recorded to my computer using Audacity at 192/24.  The computer versions have more micro details and clarity than the vinyls played on the turntable. Maybe that's the fault of the vintage Yamaha amp and MA-6 speakers the turntable is connected to, which is not my main system. In the past I purchased a $100 phono stage (to connect to a Harmon Kardon AVR)  and was not impressed with the results I heard.  Yes I know, AVR's stink when it comes to quality music listening.  Since the turntable was never a top-of-the-line model would it make any sense to purchase a phonostage that cost more than the turntable's original price and a better cartridge and stylus? Or should I just forget it?  I will not be investing in a new turntable based system.  I just want to know if it would be worth it to improve on what I already have. So I guess I'm asking (anyone familiar with this vintage TT) "Is my turntable "capable" of increased clarity and details?
mewsickbuff
addyson815May 22, 2017 13:14

for that turntable, there weren't a lot of options for different cartridges. so since you really dont plan on upgrading the turnable , just use it as is.

for the different sound from vinyl to what you recorded......you are probably saving the files as FLAC or WAV files, which are a lot bigger than mp-3 files, and the FLAC or WAV files are going to sound better.

So you're saying a decent phono stage would not improve the TT's sound quality?  Because then I could connect it to my main system which sounds better than the vintage Yamaha system. I thought any MM cartridge could be connected to any MM armed turntable, no?  I read about ridge/micro line stylus'. Are you saying my turntable couldn't accept that either? I'd appreciate it if you could explain, why. 

PL560 is a true classic performer and doesn't need upgrades. It can be part of entry-level or more advanced audiophile system. The condition of deck needs to be examined and probably lubricated/serviced. They can have speed control issues and that can be resolved as well. In fact I was bringing PL560 to the original performance with all functions work mint. This deck is 100% serviceable and has superior built quality (check ebay prices to appreciate this unit and quit thinking about another one!)

M97xe is good cartridge as long as it bears original made in Japan stylus in good shape. You may also remove stylus and shoot some DeOxit spray inside, than let it dry and mount stylus back. Headshell can be unmounted from the arm to inspect stylus condition. I use pocket jeweler's magnifier to see wear. Bad stylus may be the reason why you're not satisfied. Check the original stylus availability -- you may check needledoctor.com for good one.

AVR phonostages may/maynot be OK, but would suggest $100...$200 outboard units such as ProJekt phono box or Bellari

This turntable has may various cartridge options to choose from, but first make sure your stylus is lookin' sexy :-)