Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Ghosthouse, glad you appreciated the brilliance in Chick Corea’s "Three Quartets"; state of the art post-bop by four virtuoso players. In many respects it is Eddie Gomez sets the bar with some amazing bass playing.

This was Michael Brecker’s last recording before his passing after a long struggle with illness. Many thought he would never record again and the news of the project was welcomed as a sign of his recovering health. Sadly, he passed just a couple of months later. Probably the greatest of the post-Coltrane tenor players who built on Trane’s vocabulary he was also a very interesting composer. One of my favorite records and one which I would put in the same general category as "Three Quartets":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HkjcLU38A6E
Stofth, if you follow this thread, I guess you could see by now that here, despite all 'arguing' there is no such attitude towards other people (who are perhaps listening to some 'different', meaning other than jazz, kind of music.
Except that we cant agree among self, which music from wich time can be called 'jazz',  but that is internal, ongoing joke.
Anyway, more or less, everything you said was right, just let me add one more thing about hypocrisy.
We all have prejudices, that are based on different aspects of our ego. Can you honestly claim that you do not have them? (no matter are the 'based' on music or some other thing)

@alexatpos Although I haven't read every word of the 192 pages, here, I find it fascinating and educational.  Didn't mean to try to derail it at all.  Just a jab at schubert's and clearthink's exchange.

You must agree, however, that what I referred to as "musical elitism" is alive in the fora, whether or not you perceive any exhibited above.

"My hypocrisy knows no bounds."  VK/DH/Tombstone.

Ghosthouse - Yeah Three Quartets just worked for me.  I read Corea had set out to use (17/18th century?) string quartets as the model/template/pattern...what's the right word??  for the music he would compose.  I think there's a certain discipline or order to the proceedings that does remind me of classical music.  I'm not necessarily properly stating what I think is there...curious if you have a clue what I mean.  I do appreciate Eddie Gomez's contribution to the quartets.  I had noted and enjoyed it.  

As a humorous aside, my bro-in-law is not a fan of bass solos.  He likes Keith Jarrett a lot and has seen him perform with his trio numerous times.  I believe that means KJ with Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock.  He does not look forward to the obligatory bass solo, however.  He commented about (upright) bass solos:  "They're like listening to a fly trapped behind a window shade."  Don't necessarily agree but thought that was pretty funny.

Gosh - if Quartets was Brecker's last recording, I'd say he went out in fine style.  Hard to imagine him in better form.  

Thank you for the Pilgrimage suggestion.  It's playing now.  I will listen to it on the main system later today.

Ghosthouse, Dakota Staton was hot in the very late 50's, and early 60's. "The Late Late Show" was her biggest hit. Her music is taking me back in time when me and my gang, (guys and gals) would set aside Sunday, when we were all off, to listen to music. I've selected some more Dakota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2oKRJdGwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0p3RfunpA

This is late night with George Shearing; she could also "scat", I would say she was a jazzy singer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE6oNDbYe4

I agree on "somewhere Over The Rainbow"; I have so many good memories associated with that song I get a good feeling whenever I hear it; hers might be the best.

Curtis Fuller's "Five Spot after Dark" has a "West Coast" feel to it. Alex has, and likes a lot of West Coast jazz. Did you want to go into West Coast? Sometime it's too laid back, but "Five Spot After Dark" hits the right spot, and groove.

Here's Curtis Fuller and Benny Golson;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm8_GnA3VAU&list=PLea3N389qUMjfUassh2zOhX7sKYUBZHB7