Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I have enjoyed a PS Audio DirectStream DAC for nearly three years and very highly recommend it, especially for CD quality PCM digital files as input.
About a year ago I added a PS Audio PerfectWave CD transport, connected to the DAC with an I2S cable, and it's the best sounding combination for playing CDs I've heard.
But that might not be the case soon, as I've ordered a PS Audio DirectStream transport from my dealer, I suspect when it arrives, I'll probably say that IT is the best sounding combination for playing CDs.  From what I'm reading, this new transport is even better and plays SACD disks, sending DSD directly to the DAC (I only have about 30 SACDs...might influence more spending on Amazon!)
Ayre has a custom chip and not the stock chip.  Hansen does very little digital filtering and is a master at analog filtering.  He had help on the digital side by one of the best in the world.  DAC's are all about implementation.  The clock used in the Ayre is one of the best on the market.  There is a story about it and it's not a secret. You can google and find out about it.  Ayre has always had some of the best sounding digital since they got involved years ago and the QX5 is special for sure.  I've never heard a bad word about it. It's not for everyone as some like others, but most of the others are much more money too.

What I"m hoping is that Ayre eventually comes out with the ref DAC, but I know they had to get the 8 line launched first.  I have a feeling that once they get it out, that it will be discussed in this thread as a real threat to any DAC in the world.  I have that much faith in Charlie I guess.  Matt, can't wait until you get that LH D mk2 in 
ODSX is back and sitting at the office. And the brand new replacement Chord DAVE is arriving tomorrow. The LH2 should be here in a few weeks.

I might not open the DAVE and sell it as NEW, unopened now that the LH2 is coming. It was great but with the ODSX back in the room and the LH2 en route I simply don’t have need for the DAVE. No matter how good it is, it’s not close to the LH2 incoming. And it’s value stays the highest with a sealed box. I am getting into headphones, but that kind of money is hard to justify for a dedicated headphone DAC.

SO if anyone is interested in a CRAZY good deal on a brand new DAVE then message me.

Also, once my LH2 arrives I will likely be selling my cherished ODSX as well. I don’t need more then one DAC. So if someone wants to secure that then message me as well.

In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the hell
out of my ODSX now that it has the USB Off Ramp input and old caps reinstalled. I can’t wait to hear it! The Ethernet input wasn’t working for my system and the Dueland Caps just aren’t my cup of tea....

I’ll report briefly on the ODSX when it’s in the system.

Also, the Antipodes DX Gen 2 has been patiently waiting for a DAC's return to be compared to the Aurender N10. So that's pending and will be reported in a week or two. 

Finally, I’ve sorta gone crazy with headphones and will post my findings thus far here and on Head-Fi when I’ve settled on Cans and DAC/amp.

Cheers all!