Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O - Comments about Focus. Listened to all the YouTube tracks.

I had written comments about each track while listening the first time. Got distracted; changed the web page and lost all of it.

Found the whole thing on Spotify. Tracks in proper order here. Playing it again as I write though not going to try and recreate comments for each track. The upshot however is:

I like Stan Getz’s tone (a lot). I know his name but never knowingly listened to him. From what I read, that mellow, smooth tone is something of a trademark of his. Even when he’s getting intense (e.g., around the 3 minute mark on "Pan") it doesn’t seem to get harsh. His playing very much fits the mood of Sauter’s compositions.

I like Eddie Sauter’s music and his arrangements. "I Remember When" is gorgeous. There are other moments of real beauty throughout. In fact, the more I listen the more I like. I’ve always been a sucker for strings.

Seemed to me the pairing of jazz sax over string orchestra worked best on pieces that leaned more towards a popular music/film score sound - (cases in point: "I Remember When" and "Her") vs those that seemed more classically inspired.

The idea of Getz playing (improvising?) over a string orchestra seems a nice experiment but I can’t help wondering how this would sound if the solo instrument were played in a straighter/classical style and was something other than sax...English horn? if that were possible to do (transpose?). OR if instead of orchestra, Getz were playing in a traditional jazz quartet (piano, bass, drums, Getz).

Have to say for all my initial reservations and negativity towards string orchestra backing jazz sax...this thing is seductive. I think it’s doing something to my brain.

Haven’t gotten to the other two West Coast jazz tracks but will, though probably not tonight.

Thanks for introducing me to this.

Well, I was curious and couldn’t wait.
So I listened to both those other tracks...The 1958 Newport Performance by Jimmy Giuffre "The Train and The River" (with valve trombone and guitar). That’s another odd little track. Sounds very modern to me...like something Phillip Glass might have composed. Minimalism is the term, I think. Enjoyed it.

Also enjoyed the Gerry Mulligan, "I’m Gonna Go Fishin’ " I bet seeing that jazz band live would have been fun.

If this is West Coast jazz it definitely has a different feel than a lot of the stuff I’ve heard that seems more related to Miles and Coltrane. These examples of West Coast jazz are great music but seem to be missing something by comparison. Almost a little to sanitized; missing some grit...a little less heart or soul. Definitely doesn’t seem to have the drive of be bop, hard bop, post bop....whatever! You said it was mellow and I guess I can hear that.

There’s a place for all of it, I suppose and the West Coast sound does seem to provide a nice change of pace from the hard charging, non sop breathlessness of "???-bop jazz".  Or so I think.

So what else you got, O? :-) And thanks yet again.

This is the ultimate West Coast; it's the soundtrack from the movie "I want To Live", good movie to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAIE4-mi80

This is the ultimate West Coast; it's the soundtrack from the movie "I want To Live", good movie to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAIE4-mi80