Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alexatpos:

*****Speaking of virtouso, Phineas Newborn was one, again, never received enough recognition.******

That is true, but he did receive his proper due from me.:) This is my latest Newborn purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrH4RECJJY

BTW, as nice as it was, you did send the same clip twice last post.

Cheers

Alexatpos, it's absolutely astounding how music transcends all other forms of communication; I was intimately acquainted with John Wright's "South Side"; it was a glorious place, even beautiful in spots, while that South Side no longer exists, it's still alive in his music and my memory.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, we seem to be lost in a time warp. I have resigned myself to quit trying to get out of it, and just enjoy.
My mistake, this is clip of Milt Jackson's 'Ballad and Blues' album, that I have mentioned in post above.

http://youtu.be/axuGJ7SY0e8

Jazz is full of people with heart breaking life stories, but this one has a twist. Frank Moran, played in 50's than got stranded, and yet he resurfaced 30 years later...On this album, he plays with Kenny Burrell. Could not find a beter clip, but the album is worth of having.

http://youtu.be/p2AdSYd27kE
****Rok, we seem to be lost in a time warp. I have resigned myself to quit trying to get out of it, and just enjoy.****

O-10, We are no more lost than the millions, including me, that listen to European Classical music. We are just listening to and trying to canonize, American Classical Music. Our 'Golden Age' would be from, Say, New Orleans, up to, but not including, the rise of the Noise makers. We really need to decide on a date for the end of our 'Golden Age'. Basie is just as Classic as Bach!

"The term "classical music" did not appear until the early 19th century, in an attempt to distinctly canonize the period from Johann Sebastian Bach to Beethoven as a golden age.[7] The earliest reference to "classical music" recorded by the Oxford English Dictionary is from about 1836." - wiki

Cheers