Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O - re the Brubeck Trio w/Desmond & Mulligan...
I had to rewrite what I started out with. Initially: if ALL West Coast Jazz were like THIS, just shoot me.  No doubt, East Coast/bop would be greatly preferred. Geez, give these guys some amphetamine...and I ain’t talking about the tempo!

By the end, however: This is really, really good! Starts out slow and I don’t care much for Desmond’s alto sax tone (not a fan of soprano sax or clarinet, either). Got hooked by Bruckbeck’s solo starting at 6 minutes and especially with the chord progression/theme he plays around the 7 minute mark. Then right before 7:40 Brubeck and Desmond start playing a kind of counter melody duet (not sure the proper technical term). By 9:15 Mulligan has joined in and they are all playing counter melodies (?). It is sounding like a piece of baroque chamber music. Very, very fine.
Tales From The Hudson is also great.  If you like that do make a point of checking out Pilgrimage, it is possibly Brecker's best record and with a poignant story behind it.  It's on YouTube and I posted the link earlier.  
Frogman - I should have been clearer about "unable to find it".  I meant on Tidal or Spotify so couldn't readily listen through the main system.  Yes, I did see it on YouTube.  Thank you.

Ghosthouse, when I went to the record store, it was never about "West Coast" or "East Coast", it was just about the name of the album and who the artists were. Now that I'm trying to communicate with you, in order to help your collection, I'm saying "East Coast" for that purpose.

Frogman is the only professional in our club, and the one to talk to for concise definitions. Since I never had to define things to myself when I went to the record store, I'm quite rusty; fortunately, Frogman is our go to guy for descriptions of music and definitions; he offered to teach me, but I'm too busy to learn, I find it much easier to rely on him for such things.

Enjoy the mmusic.