Oh man, I broke my class D amp. Make fun of me. Then help.

So... I made a new pair of super fancy interconnects this evening. Of course I was on auto pilot on the second one, especially the last connector. And, of course I always test my DIY cable projects before install..

Except tonight. Installed the ICs and all I hear is clicking. Not loud, and independent of the volume on the pre. Independent of source. Weird. I shut everything down and figure maybe, for the first time ever, I miswired a cable, so I pulled the new ICs and tested. Sure enough, I crossed my signal and ground. I repaired my mistake, reinstalled and now the amp the crossed IC went to is jacked.

The volume is much lower than the other channel, there is distortion during strong high frequency signals and the sound drops out during strong low frequencies signals. The other amp is fine. I swapped channels coming from the pre and the problem stayed with the amp. I doubt it is the speaker, as there were no sudden loud noises. Just the innocuous clicking...

So, what did I fry? Some kind of capacitor? Or everything? The amp is a Ghent audio monoblock, which is class D and uses ICEpower a/s modules. It is a GA-M500. Here’s its webpage: https://www.ghentaudio.com/amp/ga-m500p.html

I’m fine sending it in for repair, but if anyone has either knowledge of amp design or the unfortunate luck to have done this, I’d love to just fix it myself and save a lot of sending it around the world. Also, feel free to make fun of me. I deserve it. Such are the consequences of hubris.

If you’re wondering, I used KLEI pure harmony connectors, which have two identical looking tabs, one on each side, to solder the signal and ground to. If you look even remotely closely you can easily tell which is the ground.. but it’s not at bad as if I had done this with a more traditional RCA connector. That would have been really pathetic. 

Also. Recommendations for repair shops please.

Ugh.

128x128toddverrone
*L*  An employment option that never opened up in my path...but thanks.

If any of my ramblings made it to film or blu-ray, the ratings board would probably 'X' rate it..."We don't have a category for this, so we're going to 'punt'..."

I actually do tend to think 'visually'...too many head shots of a physical nature, perhaps. *G*  Works for me, probably makes everyone else about me crazy.  My world and welcome to it....watch your step. ;) *L*
Great thread! I saw the title "broke my class D".... and I had to chime in, both for some self-therapy, (since I had two class D's crater. UGH) as well as a warning (and, Todd - we don't live too far away from each other, so I'm going to guess our utility power is of similar quality, OH, and I have a teenage son too)
So I bought new-to-me Jeff Rowland 501 mono blocks in November '16; plugged them directly into the wall (as recommended) and left them on 24/7 (as recommended). Loved them, listened to them, played them. I went up to my music room in early Jan '17 and they little blue lights were on, then off, then on, then off. Randomly. No sound. Cycled power. NOTHING. @#$@.  Did this over the course of a few days.To make a long story, short (ugh, bad electrical pun there), after about an hour on the phone with Jeff Rowland himself, we determined that both ICEpower1000ASP modules were hosed. (Let me tell you, even the used price on these amps stretched me. I was NOT a happy camper). 
Jeff treated me super, super well. He had two of the latest (Rev J) boards in stock which he sold me at the best price I'd seen anywhere (and they are warranted from JRDG), I installed them, and I'm back enjoying. Not before I put a large isolation transformer in the circuit, AND a voltage safety circuit (1/2 cycle response time, will 'open' a 15A relay) and surge suppression. 
LESSON: even if we can leave Class D's on all the time, I turn mine off and disconnect during storms, and now run serious power protection.
TEENAGER: I'm watching mine like a hawk. Write your cell provider about "parental controls". I'm really mad they have no accommodation for parents. Cell phones are just about ubiquitous for 'child safety' and connectivity, especially now that they are driving. BUT....it's the wild west out there on them. I can control access home computers, but not those. Please write your carrier, and ask for the ability to specify DNS servers. That would allow us parents to use web-filtering services like OpenDNS.
@boneman73 it's funny you should mention openDNS. I just finished setting it up on our network today. As far as phones, I'm trying a nanny app that I still need to dial in..

As for power, I built a power box that I also installed TMOVs in for surge suppression. Next one will have cascade diodes. The storms we've had this spring had so much lightning. It was enough of an impetus to get me to install the whole house surge suppressor I'd been meaning to for at least a year. Next I need to install a service entrance suppressor and I should be as safe as possible. I also have filters plugged into the outlets my washing machine and fridge are on.

And I also unplug during storms. Unless I'm listening. It is fun to watch...