Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Post removed 
Thanks , Frogman

The difference for me is the Mozart makes me awestruck , the RVW makes
me cry. Not a figure of speech .

Sabine Meyer is on my top-ten list of greatest living players of any instrument . To my old ears Cleveland lacked the lyrical element for the great composers who wrote everything in human voice terms,Mozart and Schubert above all. Leaving out the clarinet sounds almost like Haydn.
Dresden band has it , not surprising for a German ensemble .
Of course , I could be all wrong , don’t mind being corrected .
I can’t disagree with your assessment. I confess I am demonstrating my bias in including the Szell. You’re right, the Dresden has it.  When I refer to my bias, I am talking about my (and that of just about every other living clarinetist) bias in admiration of Robert Marcellus and his impact on the clarinet world; that is why it’s a favorite. I could get into it here to the point of boredom, but will spare you. Marcellus started a revolution in the clarinet world and is beloved for moving clarinet playing away from the bright reedy and unfocused tone approach that was prevalent up until then. The Marcellus recording was considered THE recording of the Mozart for clarinet players of my generation. In just about every other way, especially the lyricism, the Dresden/Meyer has it. Still, I like the ever so slightly slower opening tempo of the Szell...perhaps just my conditioning. Good to have options. If you have the opportunity check out Karl Leister’s with Berlin/Karajan. Generally not a fan of Karajan, but Leister sounds fabulous.
Yes, I remember how Marcellus was the go-to .
After listening several times I thought he was 98% of what Meyer was and the recording could be the difference .Still , reminds me of two great singers equally fine , one of whom hits their high-notes just a tiny bit easier .
My bias speaking . Mayer teaches at the Hochschule level in Lubeck . just gets better and better.