$10k DAC in a 3k system?

Hello all,

Ive owned the same audio rig for 8 years or so (Rega Mira 3 amp> Rega RS5 speakers) 

My source into the Mira3 amp is a headless fanless micro windows7pc I built running jrivermc> musichall Dax 25.3

i am reading some phenomenal things about some of these Dacs in the 10K range ( Chord Dave, Ayre, Lampizator,PS Audio, etc).

My question is a simple one: the other pieces of my system sound great to me, but are at a much lower price point collectively than one of the dacs mentioned above. Do I need to be concerned about my Amp/speakers being fast/dynamic enough to facilitate a Dac like the Dave? Or could I plug a top notch Dac like that into my system and hear the same things I've heard described in the reviews (but on a relative level) ?

thanks in advance for any insight!
dla123
Nothing ever sounds like what the reviewers write!  They are wordsmiths who have fabricated a "language" that purports to describe music as reproduced via electronic transducers.  It's a consumerist fantasy  whose purpose is to make you unhappy with whatever level of equipment you already have.

You don't have to spend $10k on a DAC, there are very good quality converters for $2k.  Schitt is a brand that comes to mind.
Hi Larry,
That listening experience you described is a good example of favorable sound quality/cost ratio.  Some modestly priced audio components are well engineered/implemented and are capable of preserving the audio signal from a high quality source. 

I've also heard audio systems that were a mixture expensive and modest priced components that produced very impressive sound quality.  Performance and cost isn't always a linear relationship. 
Charles 
@dia123 - I have owned the Rega Mira3 recently. I have never heard the Rega RS5, but my understanding is that it is a fine speaker. I currently own/use Rega Elicit-R Integrated Amp and Rega Saturn-R CD Player/Transport/DAC.

You would likely hear an improvement in Sound Quality with a top-notch $10K. However, I think your overall improvement opportunity would be limited by your existing system. The Mira3 was a nice sounding, musical amp, however it lacked overall resolution in my system. Ultimately I upgraded to the Elicit-R and it was a big step up in overall resolution, power and drive.

Personally, I would never spend $10K on a DAC in a $3K system. If you have $10K burning a whole in your wallet, I would recommend you upgrade your integrated amp first, then upgrade your DAC with a comparably priced unit, maybe $2K-$3K.

Good Luck in your sonic journey.........
@dla123

Don’t believe the hype. Firstly your speakers do not merit anything like that kind of expenditure. Ratio of $ expenditure should be more like Speakers 10, Amp 2, Source 1. So consider a $10K DAC merits $100K ball park on speakers.

My speakers are around $100K ball park but I use a $2K DAC.

Electronics is so much easier to get right than speakers. So save your money and don’t let the hype scare you - a good $200 DAC is all that would be worthwhile for your set up.
Speaker should be first priority, Pre-amp- & Amplifier as second. . However if you feel it can be justified by all means go for it.

An alternative choice would be buying a lower end dac which can outperform others many times its price. Some of the recommendation already made are very good choice.

If I was you and had 10K to Splash. Id be looking at a second-hand but well looked after speaker on the market.