Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Disappointment:

Billie Holiday -- THE QUINTESSENTIAL BILLIE HOLIDAY VOL 5

A great talent saddled with third and fourth rate material. She manages to save some of it. That's how great she really was.

No sign of any Jazz. A Bunch of Second rate, "B" Movie themes, and tin pan alley castoffs.

Just made me angry to listen to it.

Good sound quality, by the usual Holiday CD standards, and her talent comes through, in spite of everything.

Cheers :(

I should have repeated the warning I gave you about Billie; why don't you go back and read that post again.

Zoot was probably a real hip nickname when they gave it to him; although "Zoot suits" were kind of before my time, I know Cab Calloway wore one. Speaking of Cab and Zoot suits, here he is in his "Zoot Suit"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyuRT-ExzuQ

Enjoy the music.

After all that snow and ice in the Himalayas, I decided to warm up a bit in the Arabian desert; here's Rabhi Abou- Khalil, and "The Happy Sheik".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVs-H07nU5s

Enjoy the music.

"Ham Hock Blues" piqued my curiosity; I done heard of every kind of blues under the sun, but never "The Ham Hock Blues", do you know the words to this one? Well here's the music , and I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLDLLbIUa8

Enjoy the music.
****Ham Hock Blues**** I almost clicked on that one myself. I really like it. Nice and easy swing. At first I wondered about the name "Ham Hock" But, since Milt Hinton(Mississippi) is on board, I guess it's OK. :)

****Calloway's Zoot Suit*** Looks like my 'sunday church suit'. Mine is dark blue. Loved the bowtie. A person really has to have a lot of self confidence to wear something like that. I remember my Mother telling me that Calloway got into trouble for "Jazzing up' "The Star Spangled Banner" During the war I think. Now, it's dissed, on a daily basis.

****Rabhi Abou- Khalil****

Very good. Not so sure I could hear the Jazz part, but it was an enjoyable listen. I think I will check out this so-called Arabic musical influences. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Cheers