Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Tablejockey, before computers, I recorded my best LP's to reel, now I down load them to "hardrive". There is no loss in fidelity provided it's done right; it's not too difficult or too expensive, and that way you can listen to those precious LP's over and over without any damage.

Just wondering if you had done the same?
"not many of us left who can appreciate such a find, and to think they are still around."

Orpheus10- unfortunately, an indictment of our times.
 Another recent  jewel I found is an unmolested Clef/Verve Billie Holliday "Body and Soul" 
Impossible to find an original Clef(without opening your wallet wide)but the next best thing. 
Lady Day and musicians are "present" in my room when this album is played-breathtaking. Even the best presses today, will be challenged  comparing to one of these.

"I recorded my best LP's to reel, now I down load them to "hardrive". There is no loss in fidelity provided it's done right; it's not too difficult or too expensive, and that way you can listen to those precious LP's over and over without any damage."
"Just wondering if you do the same?"

My aim is to continue bin diving and replace/add to my collection with ALL period
mono/stereo albums. Since my preference for music is generally pre 80's, I will spend the remainder of my lifetime happily visiting grungy, hole in the wall record stores and Goodwills-much to the chagrin of the S.O.(she "gets it" once I drop the arm on the record)

Cataloging my collection to digital files will be a future project. For now, I still enjoy the ritual of cleaning and playing a record.

The other passé activity I enjoy, is listening to my beloved tubed Mac tuner. The way things are heading, our PBS stations really have a steep uphill challenge
like never before.

Time is a limited commodity in this hobby. One has to focus on how to best spend it for their maximum enjoyment.

Now that I have perfected the archiving process, each minute detail is presented, and I have to do everything all over again after I make any cartridge or analog upgrade. Presently I'm doing it all over again because I just crossed that significant barrier where you hear new music on old records; this was a result of new cartridge and phono pre. change, this is the last upgrade; it is another way to get a new collection, and it's quite rewarding.

Our hobby never ceases to amaze me in regard to how we take different routes to reach the same destination; although the process, or mode of transportation must be as enjoyable as the end result; I can see how rummaging through bins would give you a great deal of pleasure.

When I was in LA, there was so much good jazz on the tuner that you could live without anything else; not so where I live, but if it was, a tube tuner would be the way to go.

Enjoy the music.

Tablejockey, you should count yourself blessed to appreciate the music of "Billy Holiday"; not everyone can, she puts her heart and soul on display.

Some people THINK this music we love is "objectively good", but it's not; some hear it, and some don't. I understand this very well, and consider myself blessed to be able to hear the music.

Just as our rigs transform electricity into audio, those artists we idolize transform their life experiences into music; since sometime we have endured the same experiences, their music resonates with our soul; that makes the music that much more personal and enjoyable.

As far as I'm concerned, this has to be her best record, because it vibrates everything in me that can be resonated; every cut on this album is a short story that she tells so effectively. "Easy Livin" is livin with the one you love, and nothing can be easier; it's on this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX7TA3ezjHc&list=RDRX7TA3ezjHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45YPO2FyXVI

I like this last one; all she cares about is that he came home in one piece "Skip that lipstick"

Enjoy the music.
Orpheus10-

Your choice in Lady Day's music is from perhaps her best period-between 1940-1950's. By the time she was signed to Verve, her storied life was nearing. It's no wonder how Billie and Ella sang beautifully, they both lived tough lives, which most of us can't imagine.

"When I was in LA, there was so much good jazz on the tuner that you could live without anything else; not so where I live, but if it was, a tube tuner would be the way to go."

Yes, I'm  in SoCal. It's terribly expensive,overcrowded, driving is awful and I haven't got to the bad things yet....

Our Jazz and Classical stations arent what they used to be,but I enjoy them.
There was a time, one could own just a tuner and life was good.

Have you tried streaming some of these Jazz stations online? Seems to be popular for those who don't have radio access. I'm doubtful it compares with 
Ella singing "Black Coffee" through a Marantz 10B, but I've read users say it's  pretty good.