$10k DAC in a 3k system?

Hello all,

Ive owned the same audio rig for 8 years or so (Rega Mira 3 amp> Rega RS5 speakers) 

My source into the Mira3 amp is a headless fanless micro windows7pc I built running jrivermc> musichall Dax 25.3

i am reading some phenomenal things about some of these Dacs in the 10K range ( Chord Dave, Ayre, Lampizator,PS Audio, etc).

My question is a simple one: the other pieces of my system sound great to me, but are at a much lower price point collectively than one of the dacs mentioned above. Do I need to be concerned about my Amp/speakers being fast/dynamic enough to facilitate a Dac like the Dave? Or could I plug a top notch Dac like that into my system and hear the same things I've heard described in the reviews (but on a relative level) ?

thanks in advance for any insight!
dla123
+1 Al

Most speakers use cheap parts in an aesthetic box. The Aesthetic look is what sells. Very few companies put a lot of $ into the drivers and fewer still actually make anything themselves except the crossover and box. Speakers are much more a dogs breakfast than any other component in audio systems.

With most companies issuing new models every year the speaker market is more like Imelda Marcus shoe closet - full of fashion accessories rather than performance gear.
Do yourself a favor, as I did. Buy an Oppo UDP-205. With two ESS Sabre Pro series ES9038PRO DACs, all the other features of the unit - not to mention the outstanding 4K UHD video - all for $1300 you'll be more than glad you did.
Well I build DACs as some of you already know. Yes a better DAC will improve your systems sound, IMO a better source is what starts it all. What I hear is tone - every instrument has its own tone, nothing melds together, separation, dimension - layers, clarity with details, space around instruments and vocals/piano like I never heard before. Worth the money, that is your call. BTW my build parts costs alone for the DAC is close to $4K!

Happy Listening.
I have not posted in some time so I'll shoot you straight! Everything in this world is relevant to ones own prior personal experiences including Audio. Source is the perfect way to start your upward mobility. Start with a great DAC and then feed it the cleanest music signal you can next via a decent transport and you will love it. Don't listen to the people that say your speakers are not good enough. You like them and enjoy the way they sound so they are fine for now and your system to you (the only one that matters will sound WAY better) as the source is the most important in my opinion at least to the person that is making a huge jump like that. If you have $10k to spend on a DAC and you love digital music then that's a great way to spend the money. It's how I spent my money and I LOVE my DAC! Love it! I like it better than my car and I have a decent car. Every single upgrade down the line will shine and each incremental improvement will all be laid bare as the source will be the high water mark. Pick up a mint, used Bricasti for $6,500 and blow your mind. That Shit gear - wrong spelling is solid mid fi and will be a nice improvement over what you have but you will grow out of that quick. Once you a own a big daddy DAC you will be running with the big dogs and you'll love it. I assume you have the funds so as long as the doe involved isn't personally prohibitive you will love it. Don't be surprised though that the bump in Performance is so sweet you will start chasing more resolving amps and speakers but tying down the source up front is the way to go. It's like starting a new football team - what's the first premium chip you want to add? A quarter back - everyone will say but you need receivers and an o-line to block for him etc etc but you get that quarterback first if you can. The DAC is the quarterback that you build around as you go while loving each improvement along the way! Careful though - it's a slippery slope - once you get a taste of the good stuff you keep Jonesing more and more and the chase is on so beforwarned a killer DAC can be like opening Pandora's box but heck that's where it's at! Good luck - Buy used on here - Bricasti $6500 - DirectStream $3,500 - Meitner $4000 - EMM Labs - $6000 - DCS $5000 - MBL - $6000 I'm not a lampi guy because they come out with a new model every other week and the old one drops in value but they make nice sounding stuff for sure but $4000 - $6000 can get you a seat at the table. Good luck!