CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
@whart - take a look at the Blusound Node 2.

It’s easy to setup, great support, great interface and better sound quality than my computrt/DAC setup AND no computer in the mix.

Treat it to good cables an it will reward with excellent sound.

I will not be replacing mine any time soon

Steve
I just purchased a T+A top of the line CD/SACD player (PDP 3000HV).  Read what T+A has to say about why they're still making disc players.

" It is only natural that the SACD and CD continue to lose significance, as they are increasingly superseded by streamed content; a trend reflected very clearly in the huge success of our multi-source players with their extensive streaming facilities. However, it is clear that our audiophile customers still wish to be able to play music from CD and SACD, because none of us wants to throw away our old collection, and in any case there is an undeniable charm in owning a tangible data medium. "

I agree 100%.

Frank
+1 fdottore
I agree also.
"and in any case there is an undeniable charm in owning a tangible data medium. "
 We want to be charmed, isn't that is what our music is partially for I like it that way.
Thanks
I believe that, except at entry level, the "stand-alone" CD player as a line component's days are numbered. Break it into its essential parts, however, the transport and the DAC, and you have squared your flexibility and upgradeability. I say this as a vinyl junkie - look at the recent strides in turntables, tone-arms and carts, each of which can be upgraded without replacing the entire unit. Thus being, methinks, the future of the CD, unless someone comes up with a better medium. Streamers and rippers are certainly the way of the future, but you've got to feed your server with something!