Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
"Moving up" the Thiel line as I have - 2.2's, 2.3's, 3.5's, and now 3.6's - does not necessarily infer that each was an improvement over the former inasmuch it does infer that each is rather different from the former, if not by definition "better".  

The most immediately remarkable impressions were experienced from the 2.2's to the 3.5's - each had what the previous model had with a dash of mo' better everything tossed in. 

The difference between the 3.5's and 3.6's is, with the 3.6's, a more pronounced, perhaps forward midrange that, to my ears, seems to soften the notably crisp highs of  Thiel  in general. This is not to say that the highs are suffered by any means, nor is the low frequency 
response. The few low-end hertzes I was willing to sacrifice with the 3.6's mattered not a whit; the bass is palpable, tangible, there's an appreciable sense of timbre and naturalness. I can't even imagine a need for a sub. No, sir. 

Me no likey subs. 

Thus far I've found that the 3.6's show their finest at a volume level a little higher than I normally prefer. And it's there that everything pours forth - the music is felt, defined, passing "the other room" test, causing me to re-enter the living room and think, "what a genius I am to have found these speakers."

Many contributors to this thread have been fortunate enough to purchase these speakers used at considerable savings. Considerable savings over what a comparatively new purchase of another brand would incur. That alone has made Thiel my reference point for considering any other brand. Extraordinarily difficult to beat.  

For now, the 3.6's won't move.  They're too damn heavy for one, and secondly they're just too damn good. Did I mention they're heavy?

They're heavy.  Swapping cables is something of a chore requiring tipping them onto their sides onto a carpet to get at the connects on the bottom. Oof. Ouch. 

Up the line?  Only the future knows...
oblgny,

Your post reminds me that a leanness has always been the characteristics of Thiel speakers I listened to (and it's a very common description of Thiel).  Virtually every Thiel I ever heard always sounded amazingly accurate, but also like it had somewhat squeezed the sound of each instrument just a bit too hard into a thinner element.  (Contrast that to something classically "big and rounder" in the midrange like a Harbeth or older Spendor).  It was one of my few complaints, and it was also jut about my only complaint when I had the big CS6s, which I otherwise adored.

That's an area I've found different in the 3.7.  It does not sound lean; completely the opposite, it sounds more rich and full than most of the speakers I've been evaluating.  I even just expected the Harbeth speakers to at least sound more filled out in the midrange, if only because they sounded so midrange rich in the store and that is their reputation.  Yet the Thiels sounded even richer than the Harbeths. 
One of many tests I use is a recording of John Williams playing classical guitar.  No other speaker I've auditioned yet renders Williams' guitar with such realistic weight and size.
Prof...

The lean quality of Thiel is precisely what makes me so damn fond of them.  Lean can mean different things to different people, but it is just that perception that struck me as uncolored, perhaps even a tad unforgiving of reproducing sound. 

I returned to a much simpler setup before I got the 3.6's, from separates to an integrated. I wish I had kept my Pass X150.5 amp a little while longer to hear how that would have been with the 3.6's.  With my 3.5's it was possibly the best sound I've ever gotten - there was ZERO to kvetch about. 

Hmmm...I can't...I can't...I won't....

Yeah, right.  Looks like I may be shopping separates again?

Audiogon is evil.  I should never browse the listings.  Saw an expensive VAC amp I'm lusting over.  Must...resist.....
Good to see you- robinbarbour

the CS 2.7 is an excellent speaker.  Happy Listening!