Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
******And the winner is "Nina Simone".******

The correct order of finish:

1. Ella
2. Billie
3. Etta
4. Dee Dee
5. Nina

Billie and Ella was a "pick'em". The backing groups on both were awesome. Billie better phrasing, Ella better voice?? After all, it is Billie's song.

Etta, just regular great talent.

Dee Dee was fun, but I am not sure what she was singing, after the opening. But loved her, and the guys on Sax.

Nina just did not do it for me. But I cannot bring myself to criticize Miss Simone. She may have went over my head.

Cheers
Learsfool:

Have you and your group ever performed Schumann's Konzertstuck, Concerto for Four Horns?

I understand it is murder for Horn players. Talk about it.

Cheers
Donald Byrd was a man of many phases. While I liked them all, here are two tunes from this phase of his development that have stuck with me over the years. How many LP's you've worn out of one particular album or another speaks volumes in regard to the high esteem you held that particular LP. For me, this one ranks up there with KOB, and "Somethin Else"; the title is "Out of This World", it introduced Herby Hancock, and now Herby needs no introduction. This tune is clean "Out of this world".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmW_iRcs3D0

This next tune is titled "Curro's"; although I have no idea of where the title came from, I picture myself in a real hip club like "Gino's", which is where I saw Trane, and company live about the time of "My Favorite Things". This tune is so hip, that "Curro's" is even hipper than "Gino's". (I have no idea what that truck represents, but you can't have everything)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwgbtT2x98

Enjoy the music.

Rok, while we always compare new vocalists to past greats, I prefer not to focus on those differences, and just appreciate what present vocalists have to offer.

Karrin Allyson is a vocalists who sings the classics the way they're supposed to be sung; she always projects the essence of the tune. While that sounds simple and easy, it's not. First, the artist must know what that "essence" is in order to project it. One of the greatest of the greats was asked to sing a song without knowing the "essence" behind it. Things didn't go right, and she, being an honest person, admitted it.

When you hear Bobby Timmons, the pianist who wrote "Moanin", play it, the essence of that tune smacks you upside the head. Karyn Allyson prejects that essence as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5UYkENgDU

"Everything Must Change" touches upon one of the sad facts of life; I don't think I want to know what that "Super fox" I met over 40 years ago, looks like today. Karrin Allyson projects the essence of "Everything Must Change".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-q6TiiyTZI

Enjoy the music.