Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I tend to agree with the Moonhead reviewer that most of these HE Dac / Servers are like breaking the Olympic record by 100th of a second. 

A Secretariat win there is not!! 

$10K on up will get you into a great sounding Dac but there are $30/40K dacs that are better? Oh and the $50/75K dacs will bring you into glory!! So when you find the "best" Dac a short time passes and the urge to look again for the top Dac starts all over. 

I have the Antipodes Dx gen 32 plus 6 and it is the ...... no it a loser 😧
I submit at this level it's about preference and component synergy. My friend compared the Aurrender N1O to the Antipodes DX and preferred the DX in his system(Absolare amp and preamp, Raidho C3.1 speakers, and the Chord Dave DAC). I have the Antipodes DS GT, which is a step in price below the DX. I recently compared the DS GT to he DX in my system and I preferred the DS GT.
"I submit at this level it's about preference and component synergy"

Old worn out thought. Could it be a sickness of trying to find the top and then reaching it only to find you are at the bottom when the one you haven't tried turns up in a new box??

Glory,
I agree with you as another way to look at it if 100% of individuals that compared component A to B and all picked component A. I haven't seen a case that exists like that. I recently compared my Bryston BDP2 to the Antipodes DS GT and immediately sold the BDP2. I preferred the DS GT by a wide margin. I doubt if 100% of individuals that compared the two would come to the same conclusion. 
Hi all. I’m sorry it took so long to post. I put a LOT of thought into my posts and it’s hard for me to do anything "Sale" wise without it getting back to the thread.

Its not yet the 19th. But I feel I have gotten a good taste for what the DX can do. I am reading right now on how to implement HQ Player with the Antipodes.

As far as I am aware, the best results with the Antipodes DX are attained when the unit is run with Roon directly or with Roon running through HQ Player. I have run with Roon and using the "Squeeze" software and I will figure out how to implement HQ before it leaves my room.

I have been listening frequently and with many visitors and trained ears. I am left scratching my head as I have done many times with other very well reviewed DAC’s I have had in. To me the N10 provides a more natural flow of music and emotion that the DX Gen 2 couldn’t reach. But I am second guessing myself over and over because of the myriad of threads, comments and emails who have told me they know people who think the DX is better then the N10.

I am going home today (at work now) and plan on going through my Room settings in detail to make sure I haven’t missed something. And then going to try to implement HQ Player, which seams a bit more complicated and it not quite native.

I put it up for sale because at this price level, I think it will take a while to sell and I have some wiggle time. I can always pull the ad.

Give me a few more days to compile my thoughts and listen once more. I wasn’t going to post anything yet but my ad has clearly incited panic, riots and pillaging, lol.

I can’t begin to tell you guys how important it is to me to report the most thorough and honest opinion I can. As a result, sometimes my posts are not frequent. Sorry. Hang in there. I will post when I have final decisions and opinions to provide.

Glory - this thread has proven over and over again that more expensive rarely implies better. I have dismissed many $14,18,24,33,42 thousand dollar DAC’s in comparison to my prize fighting lightweight sensation that is the Empirical Audio ODSX! I listen with dollar blinders on. It’s not about latest greatest, it’s about the best to my ears, in my room. But I have a group of friends (including dealers and engineer/manufacturers) who listen with me so that I make a final decision and report not just on my own opinion but a cumulative experience. Take everything I say with that in mind. But I guarantee every single reader that I am not influenced by anything other then honesty and a pathological quest for the best. Period.