2017 amps - $10K to $15K who is on your short list?

Hello!
I saw recently a short list by TAS on 2016 amps between $10 & $15K MSRP the TAS staff concluded were their choices of the best for last year.

Perhaps these were new entries from2016 only. I don’t know and thee article did not mention that aspect. The list also appears to be a global perspective.

The list contained:
Air Tight ATM-1S,
AVM Ovation PA8 preamp and SA8.2 Power amp,
Constellation Inspiration,
Dn D'Agostino Classic Stereo,
GamuT D200i,
Hegel Music Systems H30,
PS Audio BHK Signature 300,
Triode Corporation TRX-M300,
Zesto Audio Bia 120

Regretfully some more mainstream names were not included which came to mind such as, BAT, VAC, Pass, and perhaps a couple more.

My question here is which ‘current production’ amps in this MSRP financial ball park would be on your short list were you shopping for new amps, or are in your present system?

Valves Solid State, hybrids, integrated, or Class D which are not speaker specific, requiring high Eff speakers or horns to work well.

Let’s include current production amps which are near the upper and lower limits of the spread, so if in your opinion there is an amp at $8 or $9K which out performs those costing more, or is even on par, in your opinion, plese feel free to mention it or them.

All amps must be at least in production now stereo amps. If they can as well be run as monos, fine enough, but let the price range of more or less, 10 – 15K dictate your ascertions on two channel amps or twin monos which would land in or near the mentioned boundaries.

Here are some I feel should be among the TAS list but were not, in no particular order:

VAC Signature 200 iQ Stereo/Mono - $14,000
This one is here on rep and new technology in the bias circuit alone. Have seen no reviews, and I have not heard it. It does offer itself as a mono if an uncle or Aunt dies and leaves you an inheritance.

Balanced Audio Technology VK 76SE stereo or mono $13,995.00 2ch price
I previously owned BAT vk 60 and found it very acceptable. Also in mono, see ‘inheritance’ above if twin mono setup is desired.

Balanced Audio Technology VK-655SE $16,500
(well, it is within a grand or so of 15K and BAT has strong performance heritage and very good secondary market presence. Also, didn’t want folks to think I was biased to tubes only)
I’ve owned BAT VK500 BAT pack, and loved it. Purely musical with control and finesse. A tick or two on the warm side. The latest iteration scales up the power and refines the voice, if the reviewer isn’t deaf. Once more offered in mono config too.

no inheritance on your horizon? Perhaps you can get pics of BAT Execs with tempestuous farm animals to negotiate possible lower price for twin mono setup. lol

Who is on your list and briefly, why?

blindjim
Post removed 
OK bo1972, we get it. You are listening on a higher plane of audio than we are. No, audio is the wrong word, a higher plane of music and emotion. You don’t need to explain that to us anymore.

Tell us who you are, what Tru-Fi is and where we can hear this 3 dimensional music and emotion. That would be helpful and appreciated.

I am not trying to argue with you.  I would like to know how to get 3 dimensional, more emotional sound, but your posts aren't helping.
bo1972,

I will ask that you PM me a photo of one (1) of your Tru-Fi systems and room.
bo1972,

In Plain English; which you seem to have enough command of to understand that a lot of us are on to your nonsense and would like you to stop posting it here.

Your posts are an insult to All in this community.

nkonor
 Whoa. I nearly suffocated wandering thru all the smoke and flames!

here's a thought... maybe ignore input outside of the topic might be a good idea?

bo1972
I would remind you to actually read the topic!
This ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around…. It is about compiling a list of above average amps that cost above average American Dollars.

so, what amp or amps would you want to see on this account? wow. And I thought I was long winded.

bo1972 says: Audio by trial and error is one big laugh.

Apparently, you Moses, Edgar Case, and the amazing ‘Kreskin’ have something in common if you have never used trial and error in building an audio or video system..

bo1972 says: It is like an addiction for me, it is never enough and I always want more and more.
Yep. Professional help is out there for just such maladies. Even across the pond which, is where it all began I think. Duct tape also works wonders.

BTW…. I’m still waiting on that list of which amps accounted for in this thread are the lesser, “2D” products.
Your input would be invaluable and save lots of people lots of money if only they knew which ones to avoid buying! Maybe the makers of these amps would like to know as well.

As for the Pass labs note…. I know several folks who own various versions of these ‘.5’ and later mono blocks. They are in varied systems, rooms and drive several different speakers. Most I have heard. None of these outfits could loosely be appraised as truly non dimensional.

Maybe, another refresher course in English might help you convey your thoughts more accurately, as something is being lost in translation I think.

Again, the idea here is to submit thoughts on which amps you know of that could or should be observed if one is looking to spend $10K to $15K or so on amplifiers.

So far, its all a ton of rhetorical regurgitated fluff.
Sheesh.

At the risk of this input being lost by virtue of the previous flames I have discovered yet more amps to include here as I said I would earlier in the thread>

These amps should definitely be in the or ‘a’, conversation.

@@ Boulder 860 ($9000)
Plinius SB-301 ($9045),
Simaudio Moon Evolution W-7 ($9500).
Constellation Stereo 1.0 $10,000
ARC Reference 110 ($10,995).
Classé CA-M600 ($14,000),
Simaudio Moon Evolution W-8 ($15,000),

Monos
Parasound JC1 monoblocks, $9,000
Electrocompaniet AW400 ($12,500),

There are As well Inbtegrateds and 2ch amps previously listed, which can be bridged or merely reconfigured into mono operation that is of course if, the secondary amp is added at greater cost.
like….
ModWright Instruments KWA 150 Signature Edition Amplifier $8495
De0vialet 200/400 Integrated Amplifier/Streaming DAC $9650 – this amp becomes a 400wpc pair of monos if one desires to spend more and is the most interesting power plant on this list due to its operation from the computer network end of things.

… and Just beyond the $15K upper limit which was broken a while ago….
Pass Labs XA100.5 ($16,500),
Luxman M800-A ($19,000)
Constellation Inspiration 1.0 ST/Mono $20,000
We’ll assume these and the rest mentioned herein are all, “3D” capable amps.

Oddly, the apparent tilt here thus far, is towards switching, class D, and Solid State power, yet makers like Atma-sphere, E.A.R., Conrad Johnson, Vacuum Tube Logic, and others produce contestants for units which should be represented on this assortment of premium power plants. Perhaps they will be inserted in time to accompany VAC and Prima Luna, previously named.

Speakers require different criterias of consideration as ‘esthetics’ and fit to the room are as important as is their coherence, cohesion, and presentation across the entire bandwidth and how well or adept they accuit themselves with multiple musical genres.

Amps however usually don’t carry the warrant for cosmetics speakers will. The only ‘fit’ required will be purely proper electronic matchingup and down stream, and signal integrity. It follows the voice or ‘signal’ delivered to the speakers if it is not abused or deteriorated during its construction and conveyance, it has to be appraised as honest.

I noticed years ago, and feel it has changed but a wee bit that with a few specific electrical stipulations, once one crosses the $6K or $7K threshold, one could actually put names in a hat, pull one out and live quite well thereafter regardless the selection. Barring jumping the bar into higher priced amplifiers. It seems especially true for SS fare of equivalent amplitudes.

Today, despite one notice I saw which reported the audio world prices have decidedly diminished, and I do beg to differ, thoday’s ‘threshold’ for where audio excellence begins to thrive is after one has two digits in front of the comma and just after the dollar sign, more than less. Exceptions do exist and why this thread is promulgated.

The names, of course, have been changed to protect the guilty.

Only astute system mating and a fair bit of luck, might reduce the amount of outlay needed for competent signal conveyance and strengthening by securing an overachieving or high value amp. RWV

Once more, in the ‘post bail out’ era, a choice of which particular ‘difference’ one is willing to buy remains the fundamental obstacle. One satisfactory tact is to buy two completely different amps entertainnig two quite different systems. One aimed squarely at euphony for Johnny Hartman, Louis & Ella, or when Felonius Monk or John Coltrane visit, and one targeted at honesty and integrity for those instances wherein you want a Whole lot of Rosie, or when you want to ‘Jump, Jive, and Wail’ with Illinois Jacquette, or Goodwin’s Big Phat Band. Naturally, much musical common ground for either sort of design exists.

The vast majority of power amps in the five digit arena, and quite close to it, have remarkable integrity and meet the audiophile ‘bar’ of demands for bandwidth, imaging, tone purity, speed, etc., exceedingly well. IMHO.

Picking numbers out of a hat anymore will not cure the audio affliction. The angst, passion, and adoration reside in their desparities, not in the argument for ‘best’, as within this elevated neighborhood, audio excellence has been liberally spread about and the synergy of the system will yield the supposed ‘best’ award on individual basis, and is an avenue littered enevitably with pleasure and pain. The latter is the thrust of this topic, so others might avoid to much of it.

... and yes, I'm heaed for an 'on & on' meeting asap.