Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

Trying a USB cable that lacks a DC line would be indeed a worth while experiment.

I believe that my Rowland Aeris DAC does not require a powered USB cable.... I need to check this with the factory. I am using a coaxial connection using an HFC Ultra... SPDIF being the superior connection for this DAC, according to the manufacturer.

Concerning PS Audio Huron driver, it is inevitable that DAC manufacturers keep leap-frogging one another with software or hardware upgrades, and retests are definitely worth while... Case in point, the audible performance of my Aeris has been enhanced by a staggring factor since I have replaced its stock power supply with the new Rowland Power Storage Unit (PSU), which is a full external chassis that feeds Aeris clean DC from a bank of ultracapacitors, resulting in Aeris operating off the AC grid 24/7.

Guido

Abedirov- a quote from the Davinci Web page about their proprietary USB cables :
"Two Configurations : LightSpeed USB comes in a standard configuration, and a split configuration. Standard LightSpeed is used similarly to most USB cables: one connector on each end. Split LightSpeed has one USB-B connector and two USB-A connectors: one for signal, one for power. This configuration can be used with self-powered DACs, such as Da Vinci DAC."

So the LH2 clearly has its own power supply. I use my Short Block adapter to severe the power transferred via th USB. It works great. 👍🏻
Aolmrd- no doubt that Ps Audio continues to refine their software. It's always been recognized as a good dac. But I have heard almost every update along the way and none come even close to the performance of my ODSX which doesn't hold a candle to my incoming LH2. That doesn't make it a worthwhile DAC considering it's awesome price to performance ratio.

Dgarrettson - I have been reading about SoTm products and the new ultra products with great interest. I almost pulled the trigger on a full sotm system and may still try the ultra USB reclocker. My issue is that, at the end of the day, it requires the SR7 and other tweaks to really get the most out of it. Romaz over on Head-Fi has an awesome thread in sure you are aware of that has run down that rabbit hole and beyond. In the end, it's all a bit too DIY for my tastes and I'm really looking for an essentially single box solution. Is it possible that a meticulously crafted PC or NAS connected via all sotm product powered by an SR7 and running over an optical network also powered by an SR7 with 2 Ethernet ports running the Ethernet Renderer straight off of the computer bypassing the switch can achieve the best possible sound? Of course. But the level of tweaking and DIY love and ability that system requires is beyond my capacity or interest in pursueing.

That said, the Sotm SMS-200ultra with sCLK-EX is super intriguing!!!!!
Guido- Playback Designs apparently has a whole new line and I have not heard any of them. They have good reports and I can not dismiss what I have not heard. 
On a side note for those headphone junkies and those looking for less expensive DAC options....

I spent a wonderful night (2 nights ago) at Distinctive Stereo in River Vale, NJ listening to some awesome gear! Larry’s dedicated room is big, sounds great and houses many audio libations and temptations. Merrill of Merrill Audio, my neighbor Mike and I spent a night with Larry listening, eating sushi, more listening and much male camaraderie.

At the conclusion of the evening i noticed he had a Underwood Exogal Comet Plus and I asked to borrow it to try out with my cans since I saw it had a headphone jack on the side. Well I can tell you that this DAC, fed by the Aurender N10, straight into my ZMF Blackwoods gave me the single best headphone experience I have ever had! I actually enjoy listening through the Exogal more then the Chord DAVE; it was just more musical and engaging. I couldn’t turn it off! I may need to buy the damn thing and I had no intention of even considering it. Although I haven’t tried it (yet) on my main system, I would imagine it’s way better then it’s humble price suggests it would be. I believe the engineers from Wadia had a hand in its design.

So if you are looking for a stereo or component give Larry a call. He is the importer of German Physiks speakers which are pretty damn good! But he also has some other great kit. And if you have a pair of headphones, call Larry and buy a Comet Plus and be amazed!

If interested, maybe I could put together a group buy with him and we can get some discounts. Message me if interested.

Now back to top tier dacs and servers.