Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
Apogee Centaur Majors in mahogany for me as well. Owned the same pair for approx 16 years and while I have enjoyed others, I always come back to them. I have owned a pair of Centaurs before that and also played around with the Mini Grands.
I've had Spendor SP100's for almost a decade,love them. If I were shopping today, I would start with the Harbeth 30.1 or the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 depending on the size of my room. The "classic" British speakers do not have the sizzle of some other high end speakers, but I've noticed that many of the speakers listed on this thread can be found for sale on eBay, et al., but if you search for Harbeth, or Spendor, etc., there are few, if any. Which suggest people keep them.
That is very dificult to answer! Twice I have speakers for 16 years. The big issue was I got very comfortable with the speakers. Like an old pair of shoes or that old winter coat. Nothing wrong with that OK? But, to do that you take yourself out of the mainstream of speaker development. Thus missing out on the improvements made. Not to say you would jump out and buy. But can really leave the market you worked so hard to figure out? Tough question. Plus as we age we fine tune our ears and what we listen for or even the genre of music listened to. I am so happy to have made my last jump to the new Coincident Pure Reference. Expensive? Yes, but I am so happy that I move to my next life knowing I have had the chance to finally get my ultimate! When your kids are gone, you spoil grand kids and send them home! And sit back in narvana. No more compromises, or at least a lot fewer. After all the biggest deterrent to obtainging the big fancy system is the acknowledgement that everything else come first! But it is worth the wait! So enjoy the growth you won't regret it one bit.
Well I am new here and a bit angry in my old age and I want someone to put a pair of Pinnacle PN5 + up against the new Thiel or ????? They have to be stock!!! and report back . You can get them for less than a. hundred bucks off EBay sometimes. The Pinnacle Ac650 might be another interesting listen. I have PN5+ firing ten feet from me as I lay on the sofa. I like that near field listening. I don't think you can get detail in a big room with big speakers. Granted it isn't row ten at symphony hall.... A self powered sub with good level and crossover is needed to get all music covered but even without the subwoofer. ...I just bask in the music....
I notice old A/D/S have quite a high following and resale on EBay. I always thought they sounded muddy. I have a suspicion a Thiel or Spica might beat Magnepans for me but those designers are close to my heart