Anyone try and compare the Halcro SSP 100 or 80?

I have heard good and bad things about these Halcro SSP and my dealer really recommends it over the other lines he carries like Meridian, Lexicon and Theta.

Has anyone out there had one of these ssp's in there system to compare?

I currently have a Meridian G68 XXX and I really do like it but the video switching and what my dealer tells me is better audio has me thinking about an upgrade.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
mjaudio
Meridian is the best? Hmmm... I sold my G gear after a few months... I have owned EVERYTHING!!! The Halcro SSP100 has no peer with regard to purity of sound. The Lexicon is easier to setup, yes. But if you want your HT to double as a close to reference audio system, then Halcro is the answer.

I know that the word 'referece' is subjective... so please don't beat me up for using that word.

Halcro HT is the best of the best.
Xfactor what was wrong with the G series? Since you have experience with both.

I won't argue if you want a 2 channel pass through that the halcro may be better but who listens in two channel when you have a Meridian right?

Halcro HT is the best of the best.
what speakers do you have ?

If you're going to call me out you going to have to earn it cowboy:)
I had to finally chime in again on this thread since I started it.

I took the plunge and picked up a Halcro SSP-100 and have been using it for about a month now.

I have to admit to being a bit skeptical about the great things I have been hearing but boy were they right. Pramod1969 observations were pretty much right on and I have to thank him for being so thorough.

Compared to the Meridian G68XXV I replaced the Halcro can sound a little thin with some music. The G68 was an excellent pre/pro for music and had a warmer full bodied sound compared to the Halcro. The problem with the G68 is that it also sounded warm and full bodied with movies as well when I wanted dynamic and distinctive. The SSP-100 gives me dynamics that can scare you and surround envelopment like I have never experienced before.
While I did prefer the G68 slightly more for music the Halcro is no slouch and can be very good with the right recording. The Halcro does make my speakers disappear better than Meridian when listening to a good recording. The Natural DSP on the SSP-100 brings the music back down to earth and gives it a fuller body when compared to PLIIX and Neo6 music settings. I came home late one night and decided to listen to one of my favorite CD's with all the lights off. I really enjoyed this experience and realized that I could not localize were any of my speakers and sub were. I have to admit that I have never had my all my speakers and subs mesh together so well for music and movies.

If music is your first priority than you may be better off with a Meridian or Theta. The Halcro is not far off but the other 2 have a slight edge with music as I feel the music is more fleshed out. The Halcro can sound spectacular even in 2 channel with a great recordings but the Halcro does no favors for just OK sounding recordings.
For movies though I have not heard a better pre-pro for dynamics and surround envelopment. Just to clarify before someone chimes in the surrounds are not distracting either. I am using just one set of surrounds right now while my amp is being repaired but it sounds like I have surrounds all over. With your eyes closed you cannot make out were the surrounds are located (side mounted tri-poles) but you hear things right behind you and sometimes it seams like sound is coming from above you.
Dynamics are just killer too. I just watched Layer Cake on Blu-ray and when the sniper fires off the warning round we both jumped, a few seconds later he fires another warning shot and we both jumped again. At first I thought my sub was too low but when it is called upon you really feel it. Action movies take on an almost amusement ride feel now and it is a lot of fun.

I have tried a ton of pre-pro's but I finally feel I have one that will be with me for a long time.

Thanks to all that lent there advice, I really appreciate it.

Mike
Pramod,

I tried using the Balanced Inputs on the SSP-100 and get no sound from my sub. I verified this with 2 different sources (via test tones) and I loaded Avia and confirmed.

With Balanced Inputs, I get no sound from the sub, and it appears the sub signal is getting rerrouted back through the other speakers.

I talked with Halcro support, and they said my unit must be defective. It appears we have the same or similar issues.

Did you get your unit serviced. Or maybe you sold it and I bought it. I got mine used recently. ;-)

Regards,
Darrell
what are HDMI switching capabilites for Lexicon vs Halcro vs Meridien? I saw a review Halcro somewhere they encountered some issues...some players working some not, like the nwe Toshiba HD DVD players. Can anyone comment on the three unit's performance in this regard?

or, (hey I am a novice at this) is it better just to get a sep HDMI switcher and route audio signals to the pre/pro in general?