Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Great head cleaner, ghosthouse; and one of the greatest debut albums in all of jazz.  One of my favorite records.  Re the Pitchfork review:

Well, I guess I could simply point out that when going to their website I find that the first six "latest reviews" are of Shabaka Palaces, Sheer Mag, Yoko Ono, Integrity, Waxahatchee and Moon Diagrams.......Yoko Ono!?!  Further research (😉) shows that out of several dozen other record reviews there are one or two of artists that can be rightfully called "jazz" artists.  Let's just say that jazz is not their area of expertise.  The review is honest in its contention that Washington's music seeks to expand jazz's audience by appealing to listeners whose tastes are more in the hip hop or rock camps.  Nothing wrong with that....as long as the hyperbole in the Coltrane and Miles connections is kept in check.  I think your reaction to the sheer size of the "Epic" project is emblematic of a big part of Washington's general musical philosophy: make it big and give the listener lots of it; sure to impress....some.

"Beam me up, Scotty" 
I agree with Frogman's analysis. Just thought Throttle Elevator Music's sound was interesting. I really don't take the comparisons seriously. How much does he sound like the Clash?

Anyway he did play with Gerald Wilson, so a small amount of Jazz cred. ,as a sideman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3vD3Vl_C6k

A  sometimes interesting read, which sometimes pertains to real Jazz. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/magazine/kamasi-washingtons-giant-step.html

Bassist Christian McBride is the creative chair for jazz at the Los Angeles Philharmonic –- which means he gets to put together programs at Walt Disney Concert Hall with music he loves. One of the musicians he loves most is jazz pianist and composer Horace Silver.

"Horace Silver's music has always represented what jazz musicians preach but don't necessarily practice, and that's simplicity," McBride says. "It sticks to the memory; it's very singable. It gets in your blood easily; you can comprehend it easily. It's very rooted, very soulful."

I recall an interview of Horace Silver, in which he was telling about the problem he was having with his bass player who was tired of playing the same lines time after time. This is the way the bass player described it.

"I'm tired of playing that same Bing, Bong, Bang time after time". This was when Horace had a successive sting of hits, and they must have all had similar bass lines.

Horace told him, "I got to have you man, that Bing, Bong, Bang is the back bone of the music we got going on lately."

I know that "Senor Blues" was one of the tunes the bass player was referring to, and the bass line must have been similar in a number of other tunes. Regardless how important the same bass line was, the bass player said, "I got to do something different".

Personally, I never noticed it, but maybe you musicians can hear and point out this bass line.

I'll post "Senor Blues", and you guys can post others at about that time with the same bass line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdlvzIEz-g

Hello Mr. F-
Thanks for comments on Takin’ Off and that Pitchfork review. On the former (and prior to reading your comments) I went over to the current "Best Debut Album" thread and added that one to it. The more I listened last night the more it impressed me. On the latter, your comments about the "KW - The Epic" review are appropriate. While it’s likely a number of different reviewers covered the recordings you list, the "cultural context" the KW/Epic reviewer works in has to be suspected of influencing their "appreciation" of it.

To O and all...
I check out some of the links and recordings recommended here - certainly not every one. Even so, the content is overwhelming. How do the regulars here...Orpheus, Alex, Frogman, Acman & Rok LISTEN! to all of that stuff? Very often, just one of those albums is like a full Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. It takes a long time to "eat". I don’t have the capacity to digest things that fast...I’m still listening to stuff listed here from months ago and now will be chewing on Takin’ Off. I personally can’t keep up (not that it is a competition or race - I get that) but for me, if nobody recorded one new thing ever again, there’d be plenty for me to last another couple of lifetimes.

Just felt I had to share :-)

O-10,

I had already been thinking about how some musicians need to constantly change, while others are fine with 3 loud chords.

I think it is just how they are wired as people. I have about 30 guys who work with me. Some want to work on the same thing everyday, and quite literally freak out, when given something challenging, while others get a bad attitude when they go to the same job site , or do the same job, two days in a row. It is just who they are.