Fuses fuses fuses

Ok, this is about fuses

1- a standard Bussman fuse is UL approved. Are any "high end" fuses UL approved?

2- do any component manufacturers supply their gear with any of the usual suspects of high end fuses as opposed to a standard Bussman?

3- let's say fuses do make a difference. Given incoming power is AC, why could fuses be directional? 

Not meaning to light any fires here- 

thanks in advance 
128x128zavato
Oh, well, the dudes at Littelfuse never heard of fuse directionality so I guess that makes them even. You can have the Littelfuse, I’ll take the HiFi Tuning fuse. Fair enough? Little fuse? Tee, hee

Actually, I have both. But I certainly wouldn't put a HFTF in my tube power amps!
I did a quick google search to see if places other than the USA use a different descriptor than "high breaking capacity" in their fuses. Apparently there’s also "high rupturing capacity".

Two different types of fuses.

HRC fuses are built primarily with ceramic bodies, silver plated end caps, silver internal wire and are filled with different types of powder to prevent arcing when the wire melts on one end inside the fuse. It’s also stated to be a calibrated conductor.

Sound familiar?

The stated advantages are that they do not deteriorate with age, they clear high and low fault currents and have consistent performance.

Could it be that someone just applied the better material aspects of fuse design in HRC fuses and applied them to "normal" audio fuses with the corresponding markup our hobby enjoins?

As a novice, I’m just asking.

All the best,
Nonoise

nonoise
I did a quick google search to see if places other than the USA use a different descriptor than "high breaking capacity" in their fuses. Apparently there’s also "high rupturing capacity".

Two different types of fuses.

HRC fuses are built primarily with ceramic bodies, silver plated end caps, silver internal wire and are filled with different types of powder to prevent arcing when the wire melts on one end inside the fuse. It’s also stated to be a calibrated conductor.

Sound familiar?

The stated advantages are that they do not deteriorate with age, they clear high and low fault currents and have consistent performance.

Could it be that someone just applied the better material aspects of fuse design in HRC fuses and applied them to "normal" audio fuses with the corresponding markup our hobby enjoins?

>>>>Maybe, but how did they get the 99% pure silver gold impregnated wire inside the ceramic body?

from highend electronics dot com,

"The latest development of HiFi-Tuning in Berlin is the unplated "Supreme" fuse. Even better than the predecessor "SilverStar"! The performance exceeded all expectations and the Supreme fuses became a Top Seller!

99% Silver + 1% Gold = 100% Sound
Caps and burn wire is made from a Silver/Gold alloy, even the solder (Mundorf) is Gold/Silver, and of course, like all HiFi-Tuning fuses, the "Supremes" are deep cryo treated!

HiFi-Tuning Supreme Fuses are availble in many variants - small (5x20mm), large (6.3x32mm), fast blow (F) and slow blow (T) and the price is $59.95 for the small Supreme and $89.95 for the large Supreme."

This just in, from Parts Connection,

"HiFi-Tuning of Berlin-Germany has released a new highest performing version of their industry-leading fuses called "Supreme".

The new line of Supreme fuses is handmade, tip-to-tip of 99% Silver combined with 1% 24k Gold, similar to the material used in the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold Capacitors.

Mundorf also developed for HiFi-Tuning a special Silver/Gold solder for use in the Supreme fuses.

HiFi-Tuning's 99% Silver + 1% Gold melt wire, used exclusively in the Supreme fuses, is resonance-optimized to control vibration.

Technical: To understand the advantage of the 99% Silver + 1% Gold combination, think about silver's crystalline structure. The drawing process for silver (or copper) wire causes micro cracks in the surface of the wire. The cooling process also results in imperfect crystal grid structures. Both of these "deformities," relative to the ideal of a perfect conductor, result in surface distortion when current flows through the wire. The addition of 24K gold fills the micro cracks and the empty spaces between the crystal boundaries to improve transmission properties, while also inhibiting the surface oxidation and tarnishing that will occur over time otherwise."

cheers, Geoff at Machina Dynamica