my ethernet cable?

Hi all-

Another beginner question. So I am planning to set up a device (either an Auralic Aries or a Sonos with Empirical Audio's Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply) to stream Tidal. When I was having a TV installed last year, I had the guy pull an ethernet cable to my stereo cabinet with this purpose in mind. I thought I was being smart to ask for him to get and install cat 6 instead of 5e, which was what he usually uses.

Later I read that cat6 can be a lot trickier to install correctly, and sometimes its safer just to go with 5e. (and I note the adapter plate on the wall actually says 5e.) And then I read this article from Blue Jeans cable about how most of the cat6 cable on the market is crap.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

So all of this has me wondering if I should buy some cat6 from blue jeans (or even 5e given installation quirks with cat6?) and have this redone? Or is there a way to test the quality of the cable I have and know whether or not it is up to the task?

It seems a bit excessive to replace the cable, but on the other hand, that will cost a fraction of what an Aries streamer does, or a year's subscription to Tidal, so I am wondering if I shouldn't make sure my fundamentals are all solid before proceeding.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Margot
mcanaday

Oh, c'mon, Jea! It's just zeroes and ones -- why overthink it like that? ;-)
01-19-15: Cymbop
LOL, but unrestricted 1s and 0s are happy 1s and 0s, and therefore more productive.

Copper Cabling Troubleshooting Handbook - Fluke Networks.
I am using Mediabridge Cat5e Ethernet Cable for my pc. It supports both cat5e and cat6e applications. It is available on amazon. If someone want to buy from amazon check below link:
Click here

Any advice?
The article you mention already sums it up:

"There are other companies, like us, who build individually-certified patch cords for data networks, but we don’t know of anyone else who does that for the consumer market......With every Cat 5e, Cat 6, or Cat 6a cable we sell, you will receive the test report for your cable, run on the same test apparatus on which these cables were tested, and confirming that your cable meets the specification. If we build a cable that doesn’t pass, it doesn’t ship."

Seems to me if you buy any cable it should be from BJC. I purchased RCA and speaker wire from them, so I do have personal experience with them.

So, my advice is, don't ponder your question "...is there a way to test the quality of the cable I have and know whether or not it is up to the task?" when BJC indicates they are providing the test report?

All cables matter.  Audio is not a spread sheet.  Its audio.  Data cables matter.  I'm sure there are levels of diminished returns.  What should you spend.  Well, how good is your server, DAC, amps speakers etc.  How about your data network.  Do you have an audio switch or special NAS.  I have heard distinct gains from a simple cat5 to cat6 patch cable.  I am ordering a blue Jean cable as its inexpensive. From there I should have a solid basis to assess any other more expensive cable.  Or I will hear no gain and have to make a decision.