2017 ‘Keeper’ speakers under - $25K

Heading towards the second half of 2017, I thought to ask here what other’s feel based on their experiences, wants or desires, exactly which recent production speakers under $25K, would be the ones you would want to marry.

Or be in a very long term fundamentally though not totally committed, relationship.

One wherein if they promise to satisfy on demand, you promise to keep them clean and sufficiently supplied with power and the purest of signals, not to leave dirty clothes on the floor, and to take the trash out daily, er, uh, regularly.

Actually, those last two items are predominately conscience driven and do not command perfect adherence.

Which speakers hands down just flat out captivated your attention, fancy, or were so compelling they made a significant impact.

In short, Speakers that have taken your breath away .

As speakers are merely one part of the ching let’s qualify things somewhat.

1. Speakers which can run very well in medium sized rooms. EX. 14 to 18ft wide, and 17 to 25ft long or deep, with ceilings from 8.5ft to 10ft H, or so.

2. If a sub was or should have been added, please, mention that as well.

3. If an Ultra high end setup, massive SS power amps, Tubes, or flea watt amps, were feeding and or driving them noting it would be appropriate.

4. Recent production since 2015. New or used.

Although it seems prudent to list only current production speakers, I know adding on the facet of pre-owned adds a lot more choices for the ‘desert island’ I got mine, you get your’s, scenario, but what the hey. It beats that 250 to 500 plus hours of run in new units usually insist upon.

If links to accounts or info on them is available, please include it.

As this is about options anyhow, let no design be excluded.

blindjim

Blindjim > Soundsrealaudio if you would please provide something of a list which adheres to your build and design ideologies, it would be appreciated. Thank you.
Dealers need to refrain from selling items directly on forums maybe advisable to PM directly.

Note: Raidhos are bought and sold more often than most speakers on audiogon. Their is a massive thread on this...Look it up.
Among other amp/speakers combinations I would want to listen Atma/Classic Audio, Ypsilon/Lansche, VAC and Allnic/ Focal Utopia, all MBL system, all Gryphon system, LAMM/Kharma.
None of this would be exactly inexpensive, but you want great sound, and if you are going to listen to big orchestra - that's tough.
Soundsrealaudio > if you would please provide something of a list which adheres to your build and design ideologies, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Blindjim > well. OK.
What I want from a loudspeaker is what anyone wants going in, neutrality, accuracy, and when possible, for myself, a traditional build that presents its esthetic as more furniture than Star Wars-ish…. Again, if possible.

In this instance, looking for keeper Speakers, they should be full range and develop the entire bandwidth evenly and flat from 20 – 25Hz to well beyond human hearing. The sound should emanate cohesively and coherently as if from a single driver.

They should not be selective as to the type or amount of power required for them to produce their fullest voice. This aspect however appears to be perhaps the single most speculative aspect of speakers by and large. Speaker designs dictate very often how much power and occasionally what sort, is preferred.

In a perfect world, no speaker should ever require an amp to output more than 200wpc, and operate quite well on far, far, less. No one should be forced to sit in a ‘sweat lodge’ because their amps are running as ‘space heaters’ while driving loudspeakers.

Neither should the speakers force or imply biamping, or tri amping is required by including more than one set of binding posts to connect to power. Adding on secondary or tertiary binding posts makes a statement that gives me pause.

The speakers should play outside the confines of their cabinets. Cast a well defined sound stage and depict all images sseparated yet still woven into the recording duplicit with the original recording methodology and or venue in an orgainic or natural way. Sounds should be localized and specific enough that I don’t have to think if that is a clarinet or sax. Viola or violin. Mandolin or banjo.

What materials make up the speaker superstructure, its drivers or transducers, and its cross overs if employed, is none of my actual business. I could care less what goes into any speaker. If they could make speakers with bailing wire and chieckn feathers, duct tape and bear grease, it would suit me.

Of course, the seller and speaker maker could never ever divulge the materials they used to build them, if any of the above were included. Purely for self esteem issues. Mine, not theirs.

Ohnly how well it mates to the power train being used, its actual sonic presentation, esthetic, fit into the room and its cost per pair are my ultimate interest.

Hope that clears up my perfect speaker philosophy. Too bad there aren’t too many of those around. Speakers are always in some area, a compromise, if only marrginally. Usually, its cost.

dragon_vibe > Dealers need to refrain from selling items directly on forums maybe advisable to PM directly.
Note: Raidhos are bought and sold more often than most speakers on audiogon. Their is a massive thread on this...Look it up.

Blindjim > Agreed!! Dealers should add merely their experiences which are not solely based on what their inventory du jour conveys and is Germaine to the topic.
RE Raidhos
I’ve yet to read an article on these speakers that got my attention. I’m obviously not getting it on the Raidho bus.

Inna > None of this would be exactly inexpensive, but you want great sound, and if you are going to listen to big orchestra - that's tough.

Blindjim > some of those combos are shown on Youtube now. Especially the VAC + Focal Utopia match up. Albeit, these are ‘at shows’ arrangements with ultimate cabling and so forth connecting everything…. And of course, it’s a video, not anything like an ‘in person’ event would be like.

Symphonies are not yet my cup of jo. Now and then, but not too often. I do intend on getting into the classics soon. It’s a complicated genre IMO.

There are only so many works, BUT done by every orchestra and conductor imaginable.

It amuses me that electronic makers and speaker makers take the path of using ultra high priced this or that to show the abilities of their gear. Often using wires alone that cost six figures!! Racks, etc. few people can buy or will.

Speaker makers too hook up with front ends no one would likely use due to cost constraints.

IMHO… if electronics are indeed great… why then do they need the upmost level of cabling and speakers surrounding them? Same thing for speakers. If the frakin’ speakers are superior at their cost then why put $200K worth of elecs in front of them?

Why not merely use entry level gear if the speakers are so outstanding.

Why not use entry level or mid level speakers if the elecs are superior?

Sure, you wanna talk to those Cost No object people, then by all means do that in a separate room. Then have everyone in that room show their last years income tax returns Or maybe just their McClaren, Lambo Bugatti, or Tesla car keys to gain entry. Actual inventoried dealers not with standing.

I think, you have to decide in advance if you would be willing to deal with tube and hybrid amps.
Yes, listening to high end systems on youtube is an interesting activity that I myself engage in from time to time as well. If recorded by the same people, you can hear big differences. You need to have good headphones and preferably good external DAC too.