Would "Sgt. Pepper's" be a better album if.....

....."Within You Without You" was dropped from the LP and Side 2 began with either "Penny Lane" or "Strawberry Fields"? If so, which of these would best kick off the second side?
dodgealum
there's at least six beatles albums i'd take over sp, with only the title track, "fixing a hole" and the incredible "day in the life" really matching their lofty standard (tho i do admire "lucy in the sky" from a distance). the penny lane/strawberry field single, however, is among their very best work and would have markedly improved the album.
I love that there are others who feel as do I. Sgt. Pepper was a product of it’s time, and has not aged well, sounding dated. The best music is timeless, out-living the social conditions which influenced, even produced, it. I do listen to Sgt. Pepper in context, and much prefer other music being made in 1967, of which there is imo a lot "better" (which is nothing other than personal taste, of course). I have long considered both Rubber Soul and Revolver much better albums than SP. And if the "white" album had been a single rather than a double, it would have been much better. Too self-indulgent!
bdp24,
I agree. Listen to The Worst of Jefferson Airplane. Even though it was a product of it's time, the beauty of many of the songs sounds very fresh, to gimmicky.
Another vote for Within You Without You.
IMO: An excellent song.
The album wouldn't be the same without it.
bdp, as a lark i pulled out the white album for a re-listen--the long, pointless "revolution 9" is a wank, but most of the rest is really tight. personally, i would also excise "ob-la-di" and the ringo song, but you're still left with a great double album, with side 3 being just about perfect