Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
If you look up the definition of concentration camp, they run the gamut from basic internment camps run by FEMA after natural disasters, to the harsh extremes run by the Nazis and other governments over the course of history. This includes the internment (a.k.a concentration) camps run after December 7th, 1941 into which our US Government forcibly moved over 100,000 Japanese Americans and Japanese/others. Not wanting to start a political war here but the US and alot of other governments over the course of history have, in point of fact, operated "concentration" / "internment "camps.
In looking more carefully at the definitions, FEMA/similar camps would NOT fit the definition as people are not deprived of their rights in those camps for any reason by the government. My apologies for this mistake. With respect to the camps in WWII in the US, over 110,000 Japanese Americans and over 31,000 German Americans were sent to internment camps starting in 1942. Over 3,000 Italian Americans were also interned.

Zephyr, maybe it's time for some "political truth" on this forum. While I've done my best to sidestep controversy, when it gets totally out of alignment, somebody has to straighten it out; carry on.

Enjoy the music.
I am all for "political truth". Some would correctly say that discussion of politics in an audio forum is inappropriate and not wise. The role and impact of politics in music is undeniable and well documented; so, to discuss politics in this sub-forum about music seems perfectly appropriate to me. Having said that, I think it would be wise to be careful about moral relativism re this subject. IMO, to compare the Japanese internment, as horrible and inexcusable as it was, to the concentration camps that other countries instituted is not reasonable.
Lord, Lord, My Burden is great.

If Concentration and Internment are the same thing, then we can say, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Buchenwald, Sobibor, and all the rest, were Internment Camps. And that don't even sound right!! Sounds as silly and stupid as what Mingus said.

Mingus went to France, and said, in the introduction to a tune of his, that the US Government was building concentration camps to house black folks. This was in 1964. LBJ was President. He gave no indication this was said in jest.

The French, having operated at least one camp for Jews in Paris, must have been a little nervous, at the least.

A person can say somethinmg and change your entire perception of that person. A former hero of mine once said, speaking of some "plot" by the US Government, that there were B-52 bombers orbiting the planet Jupiter. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I have a different set of heroes now. None of them well known or famous. Just regular courageous folks.

BTW, the estimates are that about 20 million died in the European "Internment Camps". Anyone know the figures for the Japanese/German/Italian camps in this country?

Cheers