What sounds best: Vinyl or CDs

My system in an introductory level of high end music reproduction, I realize.  I like music, not so much gadgetry so I am content, although I keep tweeking from time to time trying to get better sound.  Martin Logan ESL mains, Def. Tech 800 subs (2),  NAD C375BEE Int. Amp, Project Debut Carton turntable w/Ortofon Red cartridge, Yamaha S300 CD player (with a Rega Apollo R player on order),  Niagara 1000 power conditioner. My question/concern is this:  My CDs sound Sooo much better than my vinyl albums.  My vinyl collection is substantial, from the '60s through the '80s, with all in great condition.  But on my system CDs are more volume sensitive, with more dynamics and depth.  Is this normal or am I missing something in my system?  I had originally thought, "Oh well, they are 40+ years old with 40+ year old recording technology".  But is there more? I have even gone to point of buying the CD if there is a particular vinyl I want to listen to frequently.  Comments?
128x128chipito
Dear @mikelavigne : Certainly you are a reference for me and more than two years ago I remember that you posted something very similar on the digital great source quality:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/interesting-project-started-by-michael-fremer/post?postid=126...

The digital technology is in advance almost every single day ( as computers or cell phones. ). It's an explosive alternative as was in its times the analog experience.

In true is imposible for analog competes bis a bis with digital. Analog is full of non-salvable limitations that comes inherent part of the analog experience rigth from the recording process and obviously through all the playback process in each one audio system.

No one of us can't do nothing to modify what's in the recording but only through the whole playback proccess where at least we need to try that every kind of generated/developed distortions been " set-up " at minimum and this is the best we can do. We just can't improve what's in the recording only try that the audio signal be degraded at minimum through the overall playback proccess with both technologies. 

Trade-offs exist always through digital and analog and like you said our each one preferences play an important role in what we like to hear.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Dear Raul,

thanks for the kind words. that recording I mentioned 2 years ago is now available as a Quad dsd download here;

http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/31898/Ilya_Itin_Debussy

it’s is an outstanding piano recording, no doubt, if you can play Quad dsd files.

as far as distortions and vinyl, I don’t think it’s much different than digital. neither is absolutely perfect. and anyway; numbers never really tell the whole story, maybe they point us to important things but are not the proof. it’s our ears and our feelings.

for the last few years I’ve done lots of investigations as to what is possible with digital playback (both dacs and servers), and I have found my digital answer which does get into the realm of top level vinyl in most aspects of the presentation. the MSB Select II dac combined with the SGM server has been revelatory to me. and it’s that way with every format and resolution. truly a break through type product.

the best vinyl is still better and does go farther down the same road. but not that much better.

best regards,

Mike

Shadorne said,

Oh and Mahler is amazing stuff....my favorite is the interpretation by Benjamin Zander - perhaps not he best recordings but I know Benjamin and he puts everything into his work and has amazing motivational skills in bringing out the best in the entire orchestra.,

I'm listening to Zander's Mahler 6th in dsd on the Select II tonight.

it's really superb. magnificent recording and very lively and sparkling presentation. thanks for the tip. spacious and great separation of all the fireworks.

The point is not how it sounds but how your body reacts to it.
 I've been a serious listener of classical music for over 60 years and during that time have owned about 6K lp's and 3K  CD's .

Long ago I noticed my shoulder area would tighten up after a CD or two
whilst I could listen to LP's for 8 hours straight and remain loose and relaxed . 
Your brain/ body knows whats right and what's not .
Listen to it .
@mikelavigne

I am not a classically trained musician so I really enjoy the narrative that Zander includes on some of his Mahler interpretations. He talks a bit about fourths, fifths and diminished and augmented chords. As a drummer (non musician LOL), I found this very accessible and helpful and it has encouraged me to pursue interval training....maybe there is hope for me to actually understand music in a deeper sense (as to how it is constructed (like a cathedral) rather than just simply enjoy it at a superficial level....)