Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

@gdhal

From the Oppo 205 manual:

"Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

"Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection..."

This pretty much rules out copying SACDs to a Tascam DA-3000. Although perhaps this could be done through an in-line HDMI-to-USB converter? However, the purpose of those devices is typically to convert from USB to HDMI, supported by a PC-connected software driver.  Not sure whether the conversion could be bidirectional.   

@dgarretson 

Thanks for pointing that out. I did write "Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken..." Guess I'm mistaken :)  
Well, what happens when you use the Oppo PCM digital outs to the Tascam a red error message pops up on the Tascam saying copying is illegal. But, if you place the Tascam in the record/pause mode before getting that message then you can copy it.

I have also just used the analog outs from the Oppo.  Reminder this is already an upgraded quality (albeit 16/44) signal from the Oppo Dacs. I then set the Tascam record resolution to 24/96 or 24/192hz. That copy actually comes out very good. I mean after all the analog outputs is really what we amplify and listen to, isn’t it?

ozzy

ozzy’s comparative ratings of the sound quality of the DirectStream DAC (10) and the 205 (6) seem right on. 4 points is huge! The cost to close at least three of the four points is anywhere from $2500 for the ModWright 205 mod to about the same (possibly less with proper selection) for an excellent used DAC and the necessary digital cable to connect to the 205’s digital output, BUT no SACD through the external DAC. The Modwright tube mod delivers it all, including SACD playback, for $2500. Many pay far more than that for 1 point or less of improvement. Food for thought FWIW.

If you think that the ModWright mod will make no improvement or, more ridiculous, make the sound quality worse, you really need to hear a ModWright modded-player for yourself.

Dave
If one's usage is primarily physical disk based, then the Modwright Mod makes sense. Also, if one has significant space limitations, and can only house one box, then modding the 205 is a good choice.

However, if one has moved into streaming and network based audio, then a stand alone DAC makes much more sense. There are any number of excellent options from just under 1K to 2.5K.