How big should center spkr be to set to "large"?

in the processor, that is?

My center speaker is pretty big as center speakers go, a Paradigm cc570. But it pales in LF response compared to my front L/R. Also, I am not currently using a sub.

I have tried it with the center set to small and large. When center is set to large, the movies seem to lose a lot of overall bass. I have plenty of amp power to the center, 200w.

I would like to set the center to large to get a bigger sound right there in the middle, but perhaps you have to have an even bigger center speaker. But that is going to get really expensive.
mtrot
Just checked the spec between the Paradigm and Silver, just out of curiosity. It looks as if the Silver is ahead by 2.5 paces.

Mtrot...unless something unforseen takes place, I would take the silver and part with the 570. A bit on the chunky side at 46lbs. 1lb over the 570. The Mits RPTV might not be to happy about that. But don't take my word, check the numbers for yourself. Numbers aren't everything(some say), but it sure is a good place to start.

http://www.legacy-audio.com/manuals/silversceenII.pdf

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteReferenceProduct
/RModels/StudioSeries/StudioSpecs.html#1

Oh...and Ozz

Considering the specs only give the 570 60hz on and 30 degree off axis, you should get better results by switching the setting to small, this spareing your drivers the burdon of 20hz lower than intended. With a good sub, small setting, and a xover point at about 80hz instead of 40hz, chances are you may be more pleased with the outcome. Not sure who you spoke with at Paradigm, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. Never know, you might like it.
Could part of the problem be putting the center channel on top of the RPTV? Putting the speaker on a stand in front of the RPTV just below the picture might improve performance. I favor a good sub, and crossing over the other speakers at 80Hz.

db
I have actually tried both small and large settings for my current setup. I have no problems with clarity or bass response with the center speaker set to large. All of my speakers are set to large and i don't use a sub. I have also used a test disc with a sound pressure meter and the 570 will do 25Hz easily in my room.(Can do 20Hz but not too audible mind you, but it will do it.)
Could be as simple as different equipment,different results.
"Could part of the problem be putting the center channel on top of the RPTV?"

Yes a little, but the main problem is a dramatic spectal balance mismatch between the main speakers and the center, further aggravated by there being no sub. Which I realize he cannot buy, and that's ok just swap the 570 for a Silver Screen should be a wash financially.

Also CDW with a sub in the system, many receivers will allow you to set the crossover at 40-60-160hz and the range can be covered at 1dB to 10dB intervals. A center like the 570 I would crossover somewhere between 50 and 60 hz.
I played around with it some more tonight, watching 5.1 movies and a Black Crows concert on HD cable.

Actually, tonight I could hear no ill effect from setting the center speaker to "large". It did't seem to cause any loss of clarity in the center speaker, nor did it seem to cause any loss of overall bass. I really liked the overall sound with that setting.

I am going to try it on some DVDs and HD DVDs as well.