Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****What danger? And why "danger*****

The danger is that people will forget the people that created this wonderful music. That people will make the noise makers the standard by which Jazz is played and judged.

This is esp true since the most critical Jazz was performed either before TV or when TV was in it's infancy. You have to search it out. So you have to know who to search for. I.E. if you wanna hear Tunisia, you look for Dizzy, not some Russian.

That represents a DANGER in my universe. This music has been under attack since it was created. I said this, 2000 posts ago. :)

And stop using all those big words like 'Dogmatism' and 'Fascism'. I have to get a dictionary to decipher your posts.

Cheers
**** I would bet my Columbia 6Eye KOB, that before Ponomarev counted off the tune that night in Switzerland, the audience heard something like this:*****

you keep betting on these noise makers, and one day that 6eye KOB will reside in Texas!! But I hope you are correct.

Cheers

Alex, I want to thank you for imparting some "political truth" to this forum; jazz musicians couldn't make a living without Europe, and Japan; I was told this by "Frank Gant", a jazz drummer.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, Than this is a great oportunity for you to learn something new. Here is Reuben Wilson's 2nd album that was cut for Blue Note,called 'Love Bug' featuring Grant Green, Lee Morgan and George Coleman.

http://youtu.be/-p6b-o2CsEc

This is his 3rd album for Blue Note, called 'Blue Mode' featuring Melvin Sparks, great guitar player

http://youtu.be/KkyP7nVMQc0

Finaly, this is the line up that I saw in NYC. Recognising anyone?

http://youtu.be/cDQbVVG_VKA

I consider myself as individual, so I cant answer your generalizations about European feelings toward jazz.Like I said, that might be an interesting topic, but I guess for that is required more than an opinion
I wish someone would enlightened me as to what this "Political Truth" is supposed to be. If a guy can make money ANYWHERE, good for him. But the discussion was not about making money.

Cheers