Why is modern pop music today so terrible?

don_c55
Good post bondman!

I posted this to highlight the degradation of quality in what sells Today.

Music reflects the times it was recorded in.

There is still plenty of great sounding, good music now - however you have to seek it out! And it does not sell well.

In the past it was "out in the open"!
I second the recommendation on Anais Mitchell...incredible voice, great songwriter and guitar....I heard about her because I am lucky enough to live in an area with 2 classical stations, 1 new jazz station and a great college station with "free form" programming www.krcc.org    that has a hip music director....Anais Mitchell appeared here in Col. Sps. in a small venue ...fantastic evening....I've been following music for most of my 61 years...80% of people consume the music they are told to consume...good music has to be found by work and sometimes luck!
while there is tons of programmed bad pop these days, there is plenty of good music if one avoids conventional radio.
Tedeschi Trucks, Houndmouth, (the late) Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Wilco, Paul Weller (ex Jam), Neko Case, Wild Feathers, Kings of Leon, Band of Horses, Nicole Atkins, Margo Price, Avett Brothers, Lake Street Dive, Michael Kiwanuka, ....
Not everything gonna be Aretha, The Beatles, Stones, Chuck and Jackie Wilson.
When anyone can make a record in their house, and they do, it becomes a question of the lowest common denominator.  
Imagine dragons, the lumineers, of monsters and men, Portugal the man, mumford and sons, one republic, fun, death cab for cutie, cold play, arcade fire, amimee Mann, all American rejects.... a few examples.... all well produced, well done, musical and enjoyable.  some are available as MQA, most all as flacs and/ or vinyl.  

You find what what you are looking for.  There will always be the front facing commercially driven tunes....but there are artists out there of course.  Check Bandcamp for example......

either that or +1 on you're just old and a curmudgeon.....;-)