How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
paul: not to belabor this point but you are not still not getting it: the benefits of spending $2k versus $500 on a cdp are INSIGNIFICANT, especially when paired with a $550 integrated amp. you'd get MUCH better bang-for-the-buck by spending that extra $1500 on better speakers or better amplification. it is ridiculously easy to tell one speaker pair from another or one amp from another. in comparison, the differences among CDPs are laughable. we should just agree to disagree because you won't convice me.

regards,

s2k
I'm not trying to convince you S2k, just trying to help the author of this thread understand the issues so he can decide for himself. We apparently agree that speakers are very important - more important than cdps. We also agree that amps are important. Where we disagree is on the amount of $ it takes to get a good amp, secondly, on the benefit of spending more $ on cd players, and finally, on the amount of $ it takes to come up with a system that is capable of revealing subtle differences between components.

I think to say "you are still not getting it" is a bit rude. You may have more money than I have, but I doubt that you have any years on me. It is certainly true, however, that I dont "get" those two seemingly contradictory statements -"the benefits of spending $2k versus $500 on a cdp are insignificant" versus you regret selling your meridian 508 ($3995 last list but used value now $2k or so - I paid $2200 for a demo unit). I can't undertand why you regret selling it if you can replace it for $500. - But that's ok, you don't need to explain, I don't need to know.

We also disagree on the benefit of spending more than about $2200 on speakers. Kraz asked above about diminishing returns, and that's where it kicks in for me, the cost of Harbeth Compact 7's or Spendor 1/2's. I don't think you get "better" speakers for less than $5,000. And then, they may not be better for a small, real world, room. The Harbeth Monitor 40's are over $6,000, but need a large room.

The reason speakers are so easy to tell apart is that they are more colored, less accurate, than, say, cdps. It is easy to distinguish sonic signatures. That does not mean that the more expensive speaker is better than the cheaper one. It just means they sound different. To a lesser extent (by far) the same is true for amps.

CD players, otoh, do not have as obvious sonic signatures. Their differences are more related to quality and are more subtle. It takes an experienced ear. In fact, to the vast majority of music lovers, who are not audiophiles of course, bits are bits and one cd player is as good as the next. Perfect sound after all.
Krazeeyk

Building your system is an art form. You can be an expressionist or you can paint by numbers.

My point is to go for that special kind of sound that excites you, puts a grin on your face all day so you can't wait to come home to it to listen at night. Listen to a lot of different speakers and buy the ones that you fall in love with. Within you budget of course. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to buy it all at once.

I started out last year not knowing anything and searching for speakers and I was only willing to spend $500.00. Not surprisingly I couldn't find anything I liked for that amount. Then I started pricing components and figured I would spend about $5000.00. It took me 4 months and about 30 auditions but I finally found my love. I got Thiel CS2.3, Bryston 4B-ST and BP 25. Not because they are good value but because they reproduce music the way I want to hear it. I have since doubled my investment with more still to go, of course. I spent alot more than I originally intended but I get more enjoyment from it than I ever imagined and that is what it is all about.

I wouldn't have Krell, Mark Levinson, Linn, JM Lab Utopia or even Thiel CS7.2. Not because they aren't good
(they are) or because they are more expensive than what I have but because they don't have the sound I am looking for. Remember we are artists. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are missing out because you don't have the high-dollar stuff. If you had it you might not like the sound anyway.

Focus on "the sound" you want. Buy speakers you will want to keep and build your system upon that. Purchase additional components as you find them and as your budget allows and always enjoy the journey.
Jazzdude, how did you go about having 30 auditions. Did you buy these prospective components and test them out in your sound room? I understand your point about not having to buy everything at once, but I have an empty plate. I have no components to start out with. So everything will sound "new" and "unfamiliar" to me. Which makes it harder to distinguish how a new component has affected the sound of my system. Guess I just got to start somewhere right?

Thanks
Krazeeyk

Yes you have to start somewhere. You have to know where you are going too. Decide on good material to audition with. Use the same material everywhere. Listen critically for the aspects of the music that are important to you. Take notes while you are auditioning. Carry an SPL meter with you if you want. Once you have found speakers that you like audition them again with different amps to confirm the sound or note the differences. Your components will sound different in your room than they do at the dealer.
As you build out your system you will probably think they sound better. That is for a couple of reasons. First a lot of dealer rooms have more acoustic problems then your room will. Second you are building your system, you have control, you are the artist. Focus on that positive emotional response. If you are auditioning a component and you can't stop smiling, then ask yourself why. Your talking about laying down a good sum of money. The rest of your system will be built upon the sound of your speakers. Make sure the love is there. Don't lose patience in your search.

Once you get your speakers then you can audition amps at home. Your first source can be something simple like a $200-500 sony cdp or a dvd player that plays cds and you can hook up to a TV after you upgrade. Thats a good place to start because it is a plain vanilla sound.