Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

*****Grant Green, and Lee Morgan impart nothing less than their best, which as always is good jazz; they did more than lend their names.*******

I must confess, I didn't even remember hearing Morgan during my first listen. I played it again, and now, I understand why I didn't hear him the first time.

He soloed for about a Minute and 20 seconds. Very, very, low key, and in the background. He came back in about a minute or so before the end. He played those few seconds in unison with the sax player.

I think overall he did just lend his name. Or as they say, he just dailed it in. Helping a friend out? Some contract obligation? I would not consider this a Standard Lee Morgan performance. Just too much organ. Maybe he played more, on other tracks of the CD.

This was a strange period for Blue Note. Trying to cash in on the soul-Jazz thingy, instead of staying the course.

Cheers

Rok, I understand where you're coming from in regard to "soul jazz", and while it may not be worthy of you're collection, it's still good music. Although I may or may not decide it's worthy of my collection at this stage, I'll refrain from criticism. This is the holiday season, and I think we should lighten up on the "jest".

BTW, "Carol of the Bells" hit my "holiday sweet spot".

Enjoy the music.

BTW Rok, my last post was not intended as personal criticism toward you, but as a general statement for us all as we're entering the holiday season.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

There is some very good "Soul Jazz" tunes by some big time players. There was a time when it seemed as if every player had to have a "HIT" that was popular with the non-Jazz public. Mainly 'singles', on 45rpm.. I just didn't think this particular tune was that good. Esp considering the line up. If Morgan had been Leader, things might have been different.

Remember when you could go into a bar and play Jazz on the juke box? A lot of that was what I would call Soul Jazz.

I did not take your comments as a criticism of me. First of all, you never criticize people. Secondly, I am beyond criticism! :)

The singing on 'Carol of the Bells' is awesome. Esp the tenors. There is nothing better than good singing.

Cheers