How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
I think you should budget as much as you can to get into the speakers you really want. Electronics are easier to buy/sell.

A good set of speakers will reveal every improvement you make up-stream too.

You can get some GREAT deals on A-gon for some killer used speakers! :)
Interesting quote from Ashley James of AVI Hifi (UK), not seen posted on here...

"If we score on a scale of 0-10 the difference in sound made by various components of a Hi Fi system, cables would score 0.1, electronics 10 and speakers a 100!"

Having faith in Ashley, I have to say.. he's probably right.
The speakers are a choice that is left up to a persons own ear!
After listening to 10,000 dollar speakers vs.1,000 speakers the pearson might like the sound of the less expensiveitem.
It's all in the ear of the beholder,not the pocketbook.
In building a system. First you buy Speakers that asthetically and acoustically work well with your particular Listening Room. Then you buy an Amplifier well suited to effectively power those Speakers. Lastly you buy the best sounding source component that you can afford. Add-in some good inexpensive Cables, and your done. As far as what percentage to spend on a particular component is concerned, it doesn't matter, there is no formula, it's impossible to calculate, there are far too many variables. The Speakers are the only Component that need to fit a physical and acoustic criteria set by the listening room. There are no physical restrictions on the other components, so this is where I would start, and let the costs/budget play-out from there.
I'll chime in on the "garbage in, garbage out" side of things. Proportionally too little money on the source(s) and even amplification can lead to a kind of dead or ill-defined sound, even through the best of speakers- there's a kind of "musical integrity" lacking, is the best expressionistic means of putting it. I'd generally go roughly one-third for each stage in the chain, more for sources if you have a turntable and cd player- and I'd spend more on whichever source is more often used. No more than 10-15% on i-c's and spkr cables, perhaps more if power cords are also used.