Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Again, you are welcome, dl. Hope you like Spotify. I take it you haven’t been a regular user. Well worth the $10 per month if only to avoid the commercials (the bain of the "free" version, as I recall). Plus with a subscription, Spotify Premium SQ does get noticeably better, if not yet on par w/Tidal.

Another plus for Tidal is the "blurbs" accompanying many albums. I think a lot of these come from the All Music Guide. I enjoy them.

As far as your employee’s "paranormal" experience, the handle has less to do with that sort of thing than you might expect. On the other hand, I’m no skeptic about Reality being greater than the universe experienced through our five senses.

Dave there is no decorum here, you just do what you feel. I was speaking of the way music affects me personally; I can't hear fusion, after listening to classic jazz. When the groove is changed radically too many times, I can't hear the music; fusion sounds like noise after getting into a classic jazz groove.

Whenever the "groove" is changed, I try to go with the flow. We seem to be in an ECM groove now in honor of Abercrombie. I don't know offhand if I have anything with him as leader, but I have him as sideman.

Ghosthouse understands that "groove" shift thing, occasionally he finds some "new" music that is unappealing at that moment, (sounds like noise, but might be OK in the next moment)

If you like it, submit it. It has been alleged that I don't like a lot of new music, but that should have nothing to do with what you submit. What I don't like is radically changing of the groove (subject).

After all is said and done, I would say it's your turn to submit music, whatever floats your boat.

BTW, no one has commented on the last music I submitted.

Thanks for clarifying, o. I do not feel intimidated by you or anyone here, just feel that I own the duty of diligence in qualifying submissions plus I respect what I do not know.

I will return to auditioning your and others’ submissions here as of tomorrow. Trying times with custody of my grandson and big turds in my punchbowl associated with/created by my elderly father have kept me from investing quality time with good music as of late, but both challenges are being sorted in God’s time.

Oh yeah, and then there is the mammoth hurricane headed toward me as I write..

Best to you, o, and to ghosthouse.

Dave

Hello there O - 
Some comments about your Metheny links...

"Last Train Home"  - I know this one well from the very good live album, "The Road to You".  It's a beautiful song.  Pat at his lyrical best.  TRTY has a couple of tracks from Still Life (Talking) including Last Train.  It also contains material from another studio album, Letter From Home - an excellent Pat Metheny Group album from around this same time.  

For a good part of the '80s, Metheny was incorporating South American percussion.  On this album, Armando Marcal is listed as percussionist.  Elsewhere it's Nana Vasconcelos.  I think these sounds lend something pretty magical to the music.  

My introduction to PMG was walking into a record store when "Wichita Falls" first came out.  I'd never heard anything like it before.  THAT became my favorite Metheny album for a long time.  Released on the excellent ECM label.  Actually got to hear it live later that year or the next when the Metheny Group performed at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton NJ.  Felt like I was walking on clouds when I left the show.

Have to admit I do not know Offramp at all.  I remember when I was just getting into Metheny after hearing Wichita Falls, it and American Garage were LPs I always wanted to get but never did, as it turns out.  I like the two tracks you posted from Offramp; esp. those synths on "Are You Going With Me" and Nana's brief vocal contributions on "Au Lait".  

Guess I'll be listening to some more Pat Metheny soon.  Haven't pulled out my old stuff of his from the '80s in quite a while.  Probably waited long enough and should get Am. Garage and Offramp too.

Letter from Home here, if you've not heard it before.  A groove not too different from your Last Train Home link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGGqEivPIKs&ab_channel=MrAkdnt

Here's the final track from Metheny's 2nd album, "Watercolors".  This one alone is worth the price of the album....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iuL69IF78&ab_channel=ΚωσταςΠετρακος