Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I  hear in Chris Potter; Dexter, Stanley, and some others at their best.  I will continue to check him out.
In light of the exchanges about Chris Potter. this review might be of interest. I suspect the performance was "kind of the first draft" for Dreamer is the Dream.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/reich/ct-chris-potter-review-ent-0130-20160129-col...

Right now, I’d be lying if I said I were a fan....but that’s not intended as any sort of criticism of CP.

O - I’m probably fortunate to remember I attended that Metheny concert, (although enjoyment was not pharmacologically enhanced ). I don’t recall what he wore. It is funny that you remark on that black and white shirt, though. He’s wearing a T with black and white horizontal stripes in a photo in the booklet included with The Road To You CD. Musta been a favorite and/or no woman complaining, "You wear the same thing all the time....".

Remember Ghosthouse, your best characteristic is your honesty, even if it hurts somebody's feelings.

Now I know why the dress kind of reminded me of the TV Batman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059968/videoplayer/vi561884953?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2
Hmm...the fact I’m not (immediately) a fan of Mr. Potter should carry little weight and CERTAINLY not be occasion for hurt feelings! I assume merit and truly think Potter has something going on that I’m just not equipped to hear at the present time. Maybe tomorrow :-) The review was certainly very favorable to him.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that old school jailbird look, O. The Riddler’s henchmen added a little color. Ain’t fashion a funny thing.

Going back to the brief mention of ECM not too long ago (and by way of example of something I can "hear"). This LP was my first encounter with ECM, Ralph Towner, Jan Garbarek, Eberhard Weber & Jon Christiansen. Borrowed from the public library. God bless libraries. Still holds my interest today after quite a few decades....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUHONVAarQ&ab_channel=lapp9999

PS - O, Liked the Grover Washington.  Yes...maybe a little '80s-ish/Al Jarreau-like (wouldn't go so far as call it Kenny G !  :-).  Great groove on that track you posted.