Your thoughts about ATC loudspeakers

I’m interested in the ATC SCM-40 from their HiFi series and would like to hear from people who have owned or spent a lot of time with ATC speakers. This is a fairly new model and may be a bit of a departure from their classic sound.

At the show in Newport last weekend, I was quite taken by these speakers. I went back the next day and heard the same things that I liked about them, but a couple of red flags also went up:

Microdynamics – not sure these speakers do them well and microdynamics are critical to communicating inflection and nuance and to making music sound alive

Imaging, specifically wrt depth. Nothing much outside of the plane of the speakers, so recording venue info is not there and even instrument and vocal body may suffer a bit.

Were these shortcomings of setup or associated gear, or is this what ATC does?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Quested Speaker is another one which is underrated IMHO......

I find them Far more musical, easier to drive and far less fatiguing than the ATC. They cost much less.

ATC Residential and Studio Speakers are the same, except the consumer level stuff is boxed with veneer and such to make them look pretty. Open the Studio and Residential system and you will find the same driver and crossovers.

ATC are no doubt up with the best but i think Quested is far easier to listen too, just as transparent as ATC.

The H108 are used by Hans Zimmer, these units can be driven by Tube Amplification with only 20 watts on hand. The crossover are lighter and the speakers generally to me anyways feels more like Music you can connect too.

Quested has been around for years, Hans Zimmer, Michael Bay, Trever Horn are but a few who have stuck by Quested for years and with good reasons.

Fatige is the word that comes to me every time Iv listen to ATC Speakers. If you are using your Audio room for mix and mastering than both ATC or Quested Speakers will work. However for Music so far nothing has pleased me enough than Quested out of the 3 iv tried many times and that's: Quested, ATC, PMC.

@dragon_vibe 

+1 on Quested - great speakers and Trevor Horn is amazing so you can trust his ears!

Quested uses ATC mid range on Hans Zimmers large soffit mounted monitors. PMC also used the ATC mid range (I think they have been using a cheaper clone from Volt since about 2000).  So you are indeed looking at quite similar designs but likely voiced or crossed over a little differently so that you much prefer Quested over the others.

Dragon Vibe, your points are interesting but don't make a lot of sense.

We have not heard of Quested loudspeakers until now, your comments about them being more musical in your opinion is interesting.

ATC loudspeakers are extremely musical and are very natural sounding. Their speakers are raved reviewed in almost every audio magazine that has ever tested them and they are often praised for how real and life like and unhyped sounding they are. 

The drivers that ATC builds are amoung the best drivers you can buy, and the fact that most of the world's largest and most prestigous mastering and mixing facilities all use ATC is proof postive of the pedegree of the speakers.

As per the commercial and residential being identical that is also not true, current residential models have a different voicing than the studio versions there are also a few tweeks done to the residential models, these make the consumer versions a tad more laid back sounding. 

Yes Trevor Horn is an excellent composer but the fact that he uses these speakers actually means very little, Herbie Hancok uses Terra speakers does that mean Terra is better or Quested is better because a musician or composer uses them? In this industry many people are often exposed to one brand and they like that product and rarely explore the entire gamut 

So did Trevor listen to ATC or PMC or Adam or whatever before using these speakers the only one who knows that is Mr. Horn. 

ATC is a gem of a speaker, we have been dealers for them for about 1 year,however, we always knew of the speakers, it was just impossible to hear them 

We heard an active set of SCM 40 at the last New York Audio show and boy were we hooked, the speakers are unbelievably good and the ATC SCM 19 are just so remarkable. 

The biggest issue with ATC is how little the Audiophile world really knows about them.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Audio Doctor, I understand your a Dealer and thus your comments on this forum is always biased towards products you guys carry. This is evident on the DAC threads as well. You do realise pushing your products on the forum does come across unethical.

I speak from personal experience by owning all 3 speakers in the past 20 years in this hobby. I an not a dealer of either of the companies.

My comments on the composer using these speaker is just an indication that they have stuck by the company for a long time. ATC is used by many studios and composers as well. It could mean something or nothing either way. I am not a Audio Distributor or a Dealer. So I am not biased to any given manufacture.
Quested Used Volt Midrange as I understand it and so does PMC.

The Model is available on the VOLT UK Website.