In the market for a plasma.........suggestions?

I've been researching plasma tv's for quite some time now and would like to hear any suggestions which brands to check out. My sitting distance is around 12.5' from couch to wall where I'd like to wall mount the plasma. The screen size would either be a 42 or 50 inch. Been reading over on avs forum and it seems many people are happy with the Panasonic and Hitachi displays. I've looked at the Panasonic th50px60u and Hitachi 42HDS69 and really liked them. Apparently though with the Hitachi, many people were having macroblocking issues in dark scenes. Do all plasma's have problems such as the Hitachi? I'd like to keep the purchase under 3k. Thanks for your help.
128x128bradz
Whether or not LCD bulb changes are truely possible by a consumer or not is a matter of debate. Know anyone who has actually changed one?

Burn in in plasma is basically a myth as far as current residential displays. LCds form of "burn in" is MUCH more common, which is an uneveness in image light/contrast due to bulbs malfunctioning. Extremely common.
Sorry, Undertow, but the technologies are very different in operation which is why I drew the distinction. The Three-Chip LCD rear-projection and LCOS both indeed do produce great pictures and resolution, but I have yet to see an LCD flat panel over about 25" that I'd buy or recommend. The larger they get, the grainier, and they all seem to have that "cartoonish" look to the colors. Reproduction of blacks continues to be a problem. For flat panels, I'll stick with plasma. And yes, I am critical.
TVAD, I appreciate the fact that you've had direct experience in the "pros;" more insight into the topic always helps. Good info.
I see Panasonic just dropped the MSRP of the 60U to $1800. The price of even good branded plasma is crashing through the floor.
Thanks to all who have given suggestions/advice. I'm awaiting delivery of the Oppo 970 dvd and will making the plasma decision soon. The HD dvd player looked nice at first, but have received mixed reviews and still needs to mature IMO. Have been out of town and while visiting my father, noticed that he now has a Hitachi plasma monitor in his office which looked great while watching the Colts game. I'm torn between Panasonic and Hitachi plasma. Which brand would you all go with and why? Thanks.
I'm torn between Panasonic and Hitachi plasma. Which brand would you all go with and why? Thanks.
BradzĀ  (Threads | Answers)
Panasonic for reasons already stated.