Rogersound speakers?

Does anyone know anything about Rogersound speakers. I have seen a pair advertised in my area. (Model 3600) Are these related to the vaunted Rogers speakers, or is it just someone capitalizing on the name.

Thanks

arun
patela52a1
The Rogersound speakers have absolutely no relationship to the famed Rogers speakers from England. Howard Rogers, an extremely nice and caring gentleman from Los Angeles, once owned a chain of audio stores -- Rogersound -- in Southern California that sold apeakers he had designed and which were ostensibly sold factory direct. It has been more than 12 years since I last heard a pair, and my only real memory of them is that they were very efficient with a lot of bass response. Later, several of the Rogersound stores made a significant stab at featuring high-end equipment, such as Martin-Logan and Audio Research. When The Good Guys and Circuit City -- among others -- entered the Los Angeles market with (at the time) extra deep discounts and extremely aggressive advertising, there was no way for Howard to compete and his stores ultimately went out of business.
Those are not related to the British company Rogers. Rogersound Lab speakers were sold factory direct from Van Nuys, CA as an in-store house brand starting in the early '70's. The 3600 model was a 3-way 12" woofer bookshelf model, the second generation designed to compete with the JBL L-100/4310. It was less colored than the L-100, but not as dynamic or as well-built. Because the L-100's can be bought for $300/pr, I don't think I'd pay more than $200/pr for the 3600, if I liked the sound (I don't).
Actually, Howard Rogers sold Rogersound Labs to a Japanese company for a nice sum of money (read over a million clams). It was this Japanese company that couldn't compete and went out of business. Howard made off quite nicely!

Also, Howard wasn't the one who designed the Rogersound speakers... it was Mike Maloney (of Scientific Fidelity fame).

Just thought I'd clear that up.
More to discover