Why is modern pop music today so terrible?

don_c55

I call almost all non-Classical music Pop, except perhaps Jazz. Pop because the music is song-centric, all else flowing from that fact. Jazz is as much about the musicians improvising as it is about the song itself, more than Rock, and even Blues. Country too is Pop, especially these days, contemporary Country that enjoys mass popularity and consumption barely recognizable as true Country.

But there has always been, and continues to be, plenty of good, interesting songs and music being made that flies under the radar of commercial radio, television, and most print media. John Hiatt has been making great music for a long time, as have Loudon Wainwright III, Jim Lauderdale, Buddy Miller, Rodney Crowell, Emmylou Harris, Iris Dement, Patty Loveless, Gillian Welch, Danny Gatton, the two songwriters from Uncle Tupelo, NRBQ, Los Lobos, Nick Lowe, and hundreds of others. And that’s not even mentioning the younger, newer quality artists and entertainers.

The ability of singers and bands to record cheaply and self-release their music has ended the stranglehold the big record companies for decades held (since the end of WWII, at least) on the availability of recorded music. Free at last! You have to know where to look, but the good stuff is out there, and at less cost than ever before (except for those boutique-pressed 180g LP’s).

@bdp24 +1!!!!!!  I do my best to follow "pop" and I keep finding my gems here... Pop does not get played as often as Bruckner or Tchaikovsky on my system but some of my fav "pop" artists challenge my middle-age shift into classical... How/where do you place Black Star (not in heavy rotation here but still...)?!!!!!!  my personal Pop artists are David Sylvian, Steven Wilson, some ECM offerings (Bartsch, Molvaer, etc) but its just me, incurable introvert and Klaus Schulze collector. 
What surprised me is that no one caught that the original YouTube video is a nicely done (OK, Amazingly Done!) synopsis of a book "The Song Machine. Inside the hit factory". I downloaded it from Amazon a while back, still cannot finish it: I do not like horror stories!! 
But the video nails it!! And the boy is soo charismatic!   ;-) 
Ghosthouse, watch "The Wrecking Crew".http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/about.php
They were actually the band we were listening to on all kinds of records. Cowsills, 5th Dimension, Beach Boys, Monkees, The Association, on and on. I am pretty thrilled that I get to walk into the spaces those folks used to work (East West Studios for example). The vibe is there for sure. And they were and still are great songs.

Brad
Hello Trans.  I know about The Wrecking crew, but not the entirety of the records they backed.  Have not yet watched the movie.  Need to rectify that.  More and more for me, it's the behind the scenes people...the studio musicians, engineers, producer/arranger(s) I admire - esp. the latter, as was Walter Becker's forte.