Retro Hi End Trivia Question

Does anyone remember the "Quatre Gain Cell" amplifier?

While thinking about various configurations for my latest "new" system, I found myself daydreaming about the "high end" room of my local dealer when I was still in school:

as I recall, a Thorens turntable with an Infinity black widow arm, the Apt Holman preamp, and Dahlquist DQ 10s and Dahlquist subwoofer driven by the mysterious "Quatre Gain Cell".

It sounded great -- the type of sound and music and fun that got me into this addiction where I am still unsuccessfully chasing the first high....

I would be interested in buying one of these amps for fun to put in a bedroom, but I never see or hear about them.
cwlondon

Martyk1

Systemdeck! Now there's a memory.

How about the other Linn challenger the Pink Triangle turntable.

I remember one dealer tried to sell me on that by saying that Linn threatened to revoke his franchise if he sold Pink Triangle so he decided to switch....but I never believe anything Linn says.

Years after posting this thread, I found a Gain Cell in perfect cosmetic condition..

.I have rarely used it but it seems to work just fine and reminds me of the good old days....

How about Audionics of Oregon and/or the early Ampzillas?

The Denon turntables with the big glowing lights were really cool, too.
I know I'm coming to the party late, but I'm here now ... if anyone is still listening. I am frankly astonished that responses to an inquity about the Quatre Gain Cell is discussed as though it were a DS-250 power amp. However, the Gain Cell I bought, still have (serial 1011) and still use is a pre-preamp used to amplify the sub-millivolt output of a moving coil phono cartridge. It's powered by three "D" cell batteries. I was looking for a schematic for this product and stumbled upon this thread, among others. My Gain Cell finally died after about 40 years of service (left channel is about 30 dB down from the right channel). I can troubleshoot and fix it if I have a schematic. Is anyone familiar with THIS Quatre Gain Cell? Until this day I never knew it even had a model number ... everyone just called it the Gain Cell. But is does have one, silk screened on the back: DG-1. I could sure use a schematic for it. I really like the sound.

Thanks,

Lanny T.
I have a Quartre Gain Cell 250 bought a year ago from an EBay seller. Silver faceplate and excellent cosmetic condition! Haven't tried it out yet - still in storage. Wonder how it will sound with my DCM TW1A's (presently connected to a Son of Ampzilla/Thoebe preamp)? This particular combination sounds so good that I am reluctant to change. Back in 1977 The Audio Critic rated the Gain Cell higher than the Son, but faulted it on reliability. I will post if I make the change.