System Upgrade Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for feedback for upgrading my system.  I'm just getting into HiFi and wanted to get some feedback from audio enthusiasts.  I think I'm basically done with my Home Theater setup, but would like to improve my 2 Channel listening experience.  I listen to music about 50% of the time, watch 2-Channel TV 30% of the time, and watch 5.1 movies, TV about 20% of the time.

I have the following set-up and about $2k to update the system and will have another $2k in 6 months:
  • Magnepan 1.7i Speakers
  • Marantz SR6010 Receiver
  • Rel T-7 Sub
  • MartinLogan Motion 4 Surrounds
Per the Maggie Dealer, I need to properly amp my maggies and the SR6010 doesn't fully cut it and I agree.  His setup sounds better on 1.7i's than mine does (He is using a $20k+ setup from source to speaker).

I'm debating on putting all $2k into a stereo amp, then $2k into a pre-amp with HT Bypass and music source in 6 months or splitting the $2k into an integrated amp with HT Bypass and a music source now.

I currently play my music via Spotify Connect through my receiver and don't have a music collection at all.  If I move away from Spotify (which I want to) I need to re-allocate some of my equipment funds towards purchasing a music collection (CD, Vinyl, or Digital) or reallocate $250/year of my equipment funds to a Tidal Premium subscription.  I plan on putting a Vinyl collection in the future (1+ years from now) but I don't feel that my current setup will benefit from Vinyl.

How would you spend $2k to improve my 2-Channel listening experience?  Any recommendations on specific equipment that I should listen to?
rjb1101
Go for a SMc Audio amp. Find a used one have it sent for upgrades. It'll be your last amp.
jl35,
Amp for sure But with Spotify as source it won't really matter.

I'll change my source from spotify in the next 6-12 months, I just wanted to know if I should allocate my money towards changing my source now or put more money on an amp now and
change my source in 6-9 months.

terry9,
Bryston SST amplifiers work beautifully with Magnepans.

Has anyone heard the Bryson SST amps with a Tube pre-amp.  Is this a route worth exploring in the future?  If the warranty were still transferrable I would definately jump at one of these.  That would be a huge selling point.  But if I can get a used one at 50% off, I could save some of my money for repairs.

soix,
Think your approach of a dedicated stereo amp/pre or integrated is an excellent one assuming your Marantz has preamp outs.
My Marantz does have preamp outs.  I just purchased it and the Maggie's 2 weeks ago.  I haven't received the Maggie's yet, but I'm super happy with the preamp-outs.
The Maggie dealer said not to hook the Marantz preamp-outs to an integrated amp without HT bypass, because you will be sending the audio signal through 2x pre-amp sections which will add to any distortion caused by either of the pre-amp sections.  He said the advantage of the HT bypass is bypassing the preamp section of the amp, not just bypassing the volume control.
Bryston warranty is transferable. For new gear you need the original sales receipt from an authorized dealer. Almost everyone who sells newer Brystons on A'Gon have this receipt. When you send amp for repair you need to send the original receipt.

Older Bryston amps (I believe 2006 and older) do not require the original sales receipt for warranty coverage. I think the SST line may fall into this group. You can check the following 2 links to get exact details,

http://www.bryston.com/pages/warranty.html

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57.0

The newer Bryton amps, the Cubed line, are supposed to be quite tubey. I previously had the SST line and I would not classify that product line as soft.
Given that you have the pre outs on the Marantz, I would purchase an amplifier that better drives the Maggies, and as you plan, purchase the preamp at a later date. I believe it would need to have the HT bypass to use the Marantz for HT processing.