Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, certainly no thanks necessary and yes, I have heard a lot of new (to me) music and artists thanks to you. We all look for and find different things to appreciate in music and any art form and form a personal "sphere" of preferences based on those. I don’t, nor should anyone imo, judge another listener’s preferences from a standpoint of superiority or elitism. This is why I have been critical of an attitude that sometimes creeps into these discussions that tries to claim that this thread is somehow an exclusive club of cognoscenti and that only a very small handful "understand"; an attitude that I think has been proven to be wrong. That kind of attitude may feel good, but is meaningless and useless, imo. Ironically, it is precisely that attitude that I think keeps some from participating. As I see it the healthiest attitude as listeners is precisely the attitude that great musicians themselves have: that ultimately the quality of the music is determined by the level of craft and the sincerity of the artist and not by the style, period or genre. For me, historical context and evolution of the styles is really interesting.  Not meaning to oversimplify, to you it may be discovering (and sharing) lesser known or forgotten players and the reasons that may be so. We can all learn from each other’s point of view.

I've been hung up lately on Billy Strayhorn & Johnny Hodges "Juice a
Plenty". Great tunes and musicianship (IMO) and the sound quality is phenomenal.

Dave
@dlcockrum

Did you hear "Juice a Plenty" on Tidal, CD or LP?

Thanks for the recommendation!

This thread is very important to me. "All" aficionados are important to me; without them, there would be no thread.

My time is very important to me; especially now, any time I'm strong enough, I will post. (please, no sympathy)

Frogman, and Alex; that's a very interesting debate in regard to what we like and why; just be honest with yourself and let it flow.

I'm going to post a couple of tunes in the soul groove that I feel very fortunate in owning these records;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y189ynRTISg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Enjoy the music.