Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

This thread is very important to me. "All" aficionados are important to me; without them, there would be no thread.

My time is very important to me; especially now, any time I'm strong enough, I will post. (please, no sympathy)

Frogman, and Alex; that's a very interesting debate in regard to what we like and why; just be honest with yourself and let it flow.

I'm going to post a couple of tunes in the soul groove that I feel very fortunate in owning these records;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y189ynRTISg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Enjoy the music.

This thread is very important to me. "All" aficionados are important to me; without them, there would be no thread.

My time is very important to me; especially now, any time I'm strong enough, I will post. (please, no sympathy)

Frogman, and Alex; that's a very interesting debate in regard to what we like and why; just be honest with yourself and let it flow.

I'm going to post a couple of tunes in the soul groove that I feel very fortunate in owning these records;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y189ynRTISg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Enjoy the music.
Ready to stretch a little? The Milcho Leviev Quartet (Milcho Leviev/Art Pepper/Tony Dumas/Carl Burnett) "Blues for the Fisherman". Live at Ronnie Scott’s Club - London June 1980. Mole Jazz/Linn Selekt Records - Stereo Mole 1.

Not blues at all but great jazz...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+milcho+leviev+quartet&qpvt=the+milcho+leviev+quartet&view=detail&mid=714056D6480817021A47714056D6480817021A47&FORM=VRDGAR

Dave

Fantastic clips from Dave and O-10 both.  Johnny Hodges!!!  Hadn't heard this record; thanks.  One of the most distinctive alto saxophone stylists ever and one of the defining "voices" of Duke's band.  Duke wrote with each member of his band in mind in order to capitalize on each player's individual sound and style.  On this record it's Billy Strayhorn who leads what is basically Duke's band (same personnel) with a different piano player.  As we all know Strayhorn was Duke's composing/arranging partner and who contributed much of the material Duke became known for.  Love Hodges' "slippery" style with those wide note bends.  Very evocative player.

O's Roland Kirk clip:  Amazing!  One of the true geniuses of jazz and one who could bring a lot of humor to the proceedings without it sounding silly.  Fantastic player who could sound a little rough around the edges, but was always extremely creative.  In case anyone is interested the strange looking saxophone in the middle of the three (!!!) is a straight alto; same as the regular alto only that the tubing has not been given the usual bend in the middle.

The Art Pepper clip is great jazz as Dave points out.  And Milcho Leviev!  There's a name we don't hear too often.  Very interesting player that I know from some of his work with Dave Holland.  

I must say that I am intrigued by the genre descriptions by my steemed colleagues in jazz of their posted music.  Might be interesting to discuss this.  While all good jazz has a lot of soul, I would not use  the term "soul jazz", as I understand it, to describe neither the Kirk nor Quebec clips.  Similarly, and re Dave's clips, while not all jazz is blues, some blues is jazz.  Iow, that Art Pepper clip is definitely a blues: twelve bar blues form and very bluesy tonality.  Thanks for the great clips!

Frogman, if you look in the dictionary, you will see the definition of different words; they are meant for everyone. The definition of the words I use are for "specific" aficionados. They will know what I'm referring to because it's meant for their eyes only.

If we had a broad "universal" type audience that would include at least 50 members, then I would use "universal" definitions.

While there may not be any such thing as "soul jazz", there is according to Alex; consequently that has meaning, and that post was meant for him, although we all enjoyed the music.

If I was well enough, I would have written a post for Dave, because I know exactly what he meant, and in my lifetime of listening to "blues" and jazz; they can be most ambiguous when used as reference to one specific tune.

The bottom line in communicating with such a small number of people; I am communicating with "persons"; consequently, as long as that individual know what I mean, "all is well".