Dr. Feickert Protractor

What will Dr. Feickert's protractor do that the paper alignment protractor that came with the turntable can't do? 

128x128rdk777
Dear @lewm : """  Any alignment geometry that gets you two null points on the playing surface of an LP is as valid as any other that does the same. """

Valid? yes because is an alignment. Usefully is the real question. Stevenson is useless per sé and it's not only an opinion. Please read my posts about.

yes, no one cares about.

R.
@rauliruegas
For me it does not make sense sacrifice 20 minutes of the recorded LP surface in favor of the last 5 minutes especially because over those 20 minutes the distortion levels goes really higher against Löfgren A or B.

The answer is 45rpm 7’inch vinyl records, those records are small jukebox format, there are ONLY about 3 minutes of musical information on each side and the best alignment to reproduce this information is Stevenson alignment. Some of the rare singles released on 7’inch vinyl (aka 45s in collectors world) has never been releaeed on LPs, which make them unique and highly collectible. There are millions of records released in the USA on idependent labels ONLY in 7’inch (45rpm) format in the 50s, 60s and 80s. Even if the LP with the same track exist, the single (45 rpm / 7’inch) most likely will be a different take and different version, sometimes much better than LP version. Those signles made for radiostations, for dj use and for jukeboxes. But i will repead again that most of the 45s has never been released (originally) in any other format such as LPs or 10’inch for example. This phemomena is well know for Jazz, Soul, Latin, Reggae music lovers and collectors. Stevenson alignment is the best for 45s (7’inch records)

more info here: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/time-to-choose-baerwald-lofgren-stevenson

I posted this on another recent Feickert thread.
I've used a Fiekert tool over the years on several tables to great success. I just bought a new alignment "block" for $50 that is another great tool when verifying cartridge alignments.
 http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Phono-Cartridge/Azimuth-amp-VTA/Alignment-Block/-12-unit...
I was off less than 1/32" but once adjusted based on this block things snapped into place.
If you own a VPI TT, and a Feickert gauge, you’ll wonder why your overhang is off by 2mm per VPI’s own specs. (insert big frown emoji)

@ rsf507, thanks for the link to the alignment block. Ordering one now. This seems to be one of those designs that are ingenious in their simplicity. Love it!
@chakster : I own several 7" records that I don't listen often but in the times that I heard it I listen it with the Löfgren B or A with out any single trouble.

Stevenson made his alignment not for those 7" . When we learn and understand in deep the choices of alignment ( even personal/different kind of alignments. ) and the recorded MUSIC information in LPs we can " see " very clear that Stevenson is just useless for it. Anything is almost better than this kind of alignment. Please read again my posts to Lewm.

Any one can make what he or they want it, it's a personal choice.

For me Stevenson is a forbidden tool.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.