Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Ghosthouse, this is my favorite Johnny Griffin album (also mentioned here before)

'Studio Jazz Party' from 1960.
https://youtu.be/Wu0qnePU3Os

As everyone knows by now, I listen to music from a play list; that means that I know I like whatever is playing, but half the time, I don't know what's playing.

I had been listening, and really enjoying this music without knowing what it was, when I finally decided to check the play list and see what it was, that's a walk to the basement; hiking down and back up Mt. Everest.

In a Silent Way is a studio album by American jazz musician Miles Davis, released July 30, 1969 on Columbia Records. Produced by Teo Macero, the album was recorded in one session date on February 18, 1969 at CBS 30th Street Studio in New York City. Incorporating elements of classical sonata form, Macero edited and arranged Davis's recordings from the session to produce the album. Marking the beginning of his "electric" period, In a Silent Way has been regarded by music writers as Davis's first fusion recording, following a stylistic shift toward the genre in his previous records and live performances.

Upon its release, the album was met by controversy among music critics, particularly those of jazz and rock music, who were divided in their reaction to its experimental musical structure and Davis's electronic approach. Since its initial reception, it has been regarded by fans and critics as one of Davis's greatest and most influential works. In 2001, Columbia Legacy and Sony Music released the three-disc box set The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions, which includes the original album, additional tracks, and the unedited recordings used to produce In a Silent Way.

There is no way I could have liked this album when I bought it in 69, I was just in the habit of buying any new album by Miles; I'm sure I didn't play it anymore after that, but somehow I put it on the play list (is this convoluted or what?) I'll let you figure it out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU

@orpheus10 -
Good to read you are still capable of the mountain hike, O. Keep it up!
Did not know you listen from a playlist. Ain’t that cheating? :-)

In A Silent Way - HUGE deflection point. Never read much about how it was produced though. Box sets often seem like a money grab but the one you mention might be worth the price since it allows comparison between the unedited recordings and what Macero did with them. That is something I’d like to hear.

I don’t keep up with everything posted on this thread. I didn’t catch your previous posts about the Wolfgang Muthspiel Quintet but I will track that down and at least do a little sampling of it. Ambrose Akinmusire is familiar to me as he played with Alan Pasqua on The Antisocial Club, a great recording I’ve mentioned on a number of occasions but about which you have remained pointedly silent...or so I think.

Anyway - do get stronger.

@chazro
Frogman doesn’t need me to reply for him but I will anyway. Pretty certain he wasn’t dissing any of the 3 players mentioned...especially not Michael Brecker. The F’man gotta lot of love for MB.

I will definitely sample some of your Anat Cohen. A new name to me.
Thanks.

Thanks too to Alex for the the J Griffin Studio Jazz Party recommendation.

A good evening to all.

PS - love the ECM label but they really need to lighten up on publication rights.  Very difficult to find anything from that label on Tidal or Spotify.  Tracks are available on YouTube, however (e.g., Father & Sun).

Nice to see you back here, Chayro.  Dismissive of those guys?!  No way; especially of MB.  Perhaps it was my additional comment about the "purists" perhaps preferring Liebman or Grossman that gave that impression.  Truth is that Brecker, and Berg/Mintzer who emulated Brecker to a large degree, all played in a style that was informed by Rock and Pop in addition to the primary Coltrane influence.  Liebman and Grossman (especially Liebman) while bringing some of their own stuff to the table never really wandered away from the Trane train much.

Some favorite Liebman:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YQ86ETQZeE

Liebman on soprano with Grossman on tenor (@3:17); both were practically kids still!  Grossman sounds absolutely fierce on this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsUfriV43GA