Beginning projector...

Dear Forum-denizens,

My T.V. recently blew out - now my wife has (graciously) given permission to save up and buy an LCD / Plasma / Projection TV - what's the recommendation from the community? I see that LCDs and Plasmas are coming down in price, and don't need bulbs replaced, but are not as low as projectors. And build your own? Thoughts?

--j.
jawats
Thanks for the great responses. This will be a basement theater projector - casual TV watching will be done on a smaller TV in a diff. room. This will be used for movies, music (w/o the projector) and the obligatory Notre Dame football games.

--j.
A couple of years ago I owned the 14k Sim2. I had a 92",$3500 screen. A big investment. I did the motor, "pull-down" in front of the tv. At that time I had an older standard def. tv. Then I upgraded the tv. to a JVC hdila; A 5k-job.---What a piece of crap that was. Then I took another step,up.--Got the Mits. 9" crt 65" model. Then I could see just what Black Level is all about. Black Level was good on the Sim2 but not in the same league as the Mits. Sure, I know thin is in but until I see a "better than mine" thin one, I'll stay "over-weight but happy".
New question, can projector be used as a regular tv, as in bulb life and dependability? How about room lighting?
Jamesw20

I would only consider front projection to achieve a 16:9 screen size of near 100" diagonal, and every such projection system I've seen suffers when ambient light is above very dim. Think about the last time you were in a movie theater.

Bulb life is a matter of money and inconvenience. If you're willing to buy and change a couple hundred dollar bulb a few times a year, then bulb life may not be an issue.

db