Member's recommendations for tube amplification

Your thoughts on options to consider:

- I'd prefer SET (open to DHT but not a requirement).

- I'm not looking for overtly warm, romantic or lush options.

- Minimum power in the teens to twenties, 10W being the floor.

- Open to higher power push-pull amps, but let's limit ceiling to around 60W.

- Single ended is fine though having XLR inputs would be nice (doesn't have to be true balanced)

- I'm cool with single chassis or monos.

- I have preferences for tube types, but leaving it open ended to get broad recommendations.

- I'm currently running an all solid state system, though have had tube based systems built around ARC, BAT, Ayon, Melody, Pathos, etc.

- Preamp will be a Pass XP-20 or the Metrum Adagio DAC direct to the amp.

- I'd like to stay around 3K used but can push the budget to 6K new/used.

- Speaker sensitivity is 94dB and higher.

THANKS!
Ag insider logo xs@2xdavid_ten
David,

I would agree with Charles,
Vac made and sold quite a lot of the Phi-200 amps,probably was their best seller and I do believe several folks have upgraded or would like to.

I only have experience with the much older 30/30 and it was a very good amplifier that I wish I would have kept at the time.I had Maggie's at that time and needed more Pwr.

Kenny.
I recently purchased my first SET. Mastersound compact 845. I had owned many desirable pieces in the past 10 years. But guys nothing at this level.
I wish I had discovered them a while back.
I ordered the Pf100 probably one of the best regardless price.
Best of luck.
David, I can't shed any additional light on your question beyond what Charles and Kenny have said.  Best of luck as you proceed.

Best regards,
-- Al

Thanks for the responses to my question about the VAC Phi 200.

@mountainsong  Did you order the Pf100 or the Compact 845 integrated?  The PF is waaaay outside of the realm of possibility. 

Please share your findings and impressions of your Mastersound gear.