Looking to completely overhaul my preamp section, knowledgeable people needed!

Hi everyone, first time poster here and all that...

I'm looking to do a complete overhaul of my preamp section. I'm currently running a Schiit Modi Uber II as a DAC, a Schiit Mani as a phono stage, and a Schiit Sys as a glorified volume control. This is outputting to an Adcom GFA555 power amp (this will eventually be upgraded to an Odyssey Stratos), then to a pair of LSA 2.1 Signature speakers.

At the moment I am considering a Parasound Halo P5 as an all in one solution or a new Schiit stack (Freya, Gungir) if I stuck with separates, and possibly some of Pro-Ject's lineup (Prebox RS digital). I would like something that is solidly engineered and measures well, but I don't place *perfect* measurements above all else.

To the extent that these components effect sound, I really enjoy a wide soundstage and precise imaging. Low background noise is very important as well. In terms of usability, I definitely would like a remote, solid volume control, and fully balanced inputs and outputs. 

Finally, my budget is $2000 but would prefer to spend less. I would also consider used options. Thanks!!

primarist

With recent experience and discoveries, I would avoid stuff with switching power supplies such as the Mytek Brooklyn or Benchmark dacs.   I have been in close communication with another user (robelvick) who initially went with a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and then moved over to a PS Audio Stellar Gain.  The Stellar Gain was a significant upgrade in sound quality.  The Benchmark has switching power supply with op amps, while the Stellar Gain is linear power supply with discrete Class A analog stages.  The difference is significant.  I have not personally heard the Stellar Gain, but my experiences with different topologies in general would agree that the Stellar Gain is superior.

I'm sure there are several available options, but the Stellar Gain would be an excellent choice.  The Parasound P7 is very nice, but it will not be as good as the Stellar Gain.  However, the P7 does have a phono preamp built into it.

Another option would be to look at some of the Audio-GD balanced DAC/premps, such as NFB-27.77.  Like Stellar Gain, it will be a superior DAC/preamp, but you will still need an off-board phono preamp.

The Adcom 555 is definitely a serious weak link here, so upgrading the amp is an excellent idea.

Ha! I just had a gentleman in another thread go on about how awesome the adcom 555 sounds and I shouldn’t believe what I read. I haven’t heard much good about them as serious high end amps.

OP - I have a tube pre as well and love it. If I were in your position, I'd be all over the schiit Freya. But that's just me. Good luck!
I used to own an Adcom 545 II amp.  While it was a great introduction to separates, when compared to other amps the Adcom was just smearing the sound. 
Ugh decisions decisions... See this is exactly why I needed help! lol

I'm starting to like the idea of the Schiit Freya, however, AVlee turned me to the idea of a Emotiva XSP-1. On reading some reviews, it seems that the Emotiva sounds excellent and offers quite a bit of bang for the buck. I know they're totally different beasts, but I wonder how each would sound in my system. Lots of people like to hate on Emotiva, but it seems like they put solid engineering principles into their products. Given the choice between a Freya+Gungnir MB and an XSP-1+Gungnir MB, what would everyone pick? Does anyone know if the Freya is truly balanced or if a bal->SE conversion happens?

Also, the Adcom has treated me very well but unfortunately its next on the chopping block. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out though, as I once was. Super clean sound with a strong low end, maybe a bit of grain on the top end though.
Like I said, I have the XMC-1, and it’s a solid piece of kit. Its negative qualities are non-audio in nature (40 second boot up time unless in fast boot mode, but then you are burning 30W all day) so if you go with the XSP, ask a dealer first if you can demo it and see if you find any wrinkles.  The logo looks like it was designed by a 12 year old, but the tech is solid.  I’m cool with them putting the money in the stuff that matters.